Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classification (CA-CL) hierarchy versioning

natali_huralna
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Does SAP have any possibilities to manage a classification hierarchy versioning?

For example, we have ECLASS (https://www.eclass.eu/en/standard/search-in-eclass.html) and there are different versions of ECLASS classification system.

How to handle and switch between old and new versions of the classification system in SAP?

Thanks,

Natalia

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Oscar_DC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Natalia, it's not quite clear to me what do you want to classify?

Do you want to classify equipment or material and are you using a "class" to do it?

I think there's a difference between what ECLASS does and what classes & characteristics do in SAP. I use classes and characteristics not because I want to classify the material or equipment in different categories - I can do that using other standard fields like material group & object type- I use classes and characteristics to save specific values on a record for which I do not have a valid standard SAP field that I can use. Basically, instead of extending the tables to save my values, I just create a class and populate the corresponding characteristics.

You could use the class to "classify" material and/or equipment - but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd try to use a standard SAP field for that. There are limitations on the change documents you can get from classes and characteristics, and it is easier to report on standard fields than it is on classes & characteristics.

natali_huralna
Explorer
0 Kudos

Oscar, thank you for the reply.

I want to classify equipment objects.

It's not good for me to use equipment object type, as I need to create ECLASS properties as well (I'm going to use SAP characteristics for this) with the link to relevant class.

Oscar_DC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know of anything in standard SAP to manage versioning for your specific case, but there are options.

For example:

• You could create a class group for each of your ECLASS versions.
  • Then you can create classes and characteristics for each of your ECLASS versions
  • All classes for the same version would be grouped in the same Class group.

Depending on the number of equipment records you have, this could require plenty of data maintenance work.