Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in the life of the asset and the depreciation posting of the same

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We require to change the life of an existing asset from existing 15 years to 25 years. This we are able to do.

The problem is for posting of depreciation.

We want the system to post the depreciation on the Net Book value (On the date of change of the life of the asset) instead of the original value. for the remaining life of the asset.

Depriciation for this Asset has been posted upto May 2011.

Plz explain on how this can be done in SAP.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you I am able to get the depriciation value the way we wanted . thanks a lot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are in ECC 6.0 then you can add interval in asset master data for depreciation.

Double click on depreciation area, click on more interval, here you can assign appropriate Dep. by giving start date and also you can provide new useful life.

You can try this yourself..

Regards,

Sayujya

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks,

Can you plz guide on how to do this. yes I am using ECC 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess i already explained this.. anyways proceed as follows:

1. Go to AS02. --> Depreciation Areas tab.

2. Double Click on depreciation area 1.

3. I hope you already have a depreciation key with net book value. Click on 'More Intervals' button.

4. here you can maintain new interval by giving start date of the period, also you can add new useful life from this date.

I hope this is clear now..

Regards,

Sayujya

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks,

I have tried the same way you said. System is recalculating the depriciation when I increase the life time.

Ex: Initial Life of the Asset 15 Years value of the asset is 18000

Depriciation Posted for January -100

February -100

March -100

Now our scenario is:

Life of the Asste increased to 25 Years

Depriciation TO BE Posted are January -100 (It should be 60)

February -100 (It should be 60)

March -100 (It should be 60)

April +120 ( 100 - 60 ) * 3

May - 60

From May ownwards it is the same.

The user wants the system to calculate the depriciation on Net Book Value after considering already posted depriciation

For April they want depreciation to be

value of the asset18000-300 (already posted depreciation)/Remaining useful life in months

18000-300/(300-3)

300 Total life of the asset in months

3 Already depreciation posted

The user wants this amount to be posted every month from April 2011 - 59.59

Kindly suggest how to go about it instead of going for positive depreciation value in April

Regards,

Ranjit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check configuration of your dep key it should have following parameters..

1. Base Method is '0011' or copy of '0011'.

2. Multilevel Method has ' 24 ' or '27' in base value for dep calculation.

3. Multilevel Method also has Remaining life (Calculate percentage from remaining useful life

) check box checked.

If you have all these parameters in your new dep key from new start date then system will show you the correct value as you require..

Regards,

Sayujya

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks I found it I am cheking and will Update Thank You

Edited by: simonjohn on Jul 19, 2011 9:31 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Financial Accounting (New) --> Asset Accounting --> Depreciation --> Valuation Methods --> Depreciation Key

1. In 'Maintain Dep Key' you can check assignment of Base Method and Multilevel Method to dep. key.

2. Under 'Calculation Methods' you can check existing and define new base method and Multilevel Method.

Explore yourself on these inputs..

Regards,

Sayujya

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank You,

As suggested by you I have craeted Base Method and Multi Level Method. When I trying to assign this (TCode AFAMA) I am getting an error "Entering Percentage not allowed for dep. method D" Message no ACRSL005

I have changed the base method where the depreciation method to 'P'(stated percentage) from 'D' (Percentage from useful life)

Edited by: simonjohn on Jul 19, 2011 11:54 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

I do not understand what you are trying to do..

I have suggested you the options... there is no need to enter Percentage in multilevel method when you are using Percentage from useful life..

Please read my earlier replies once again and then try to test it..

Regards,

Sayujya

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi I tried the same way you suggested and tried to change the life from 15 to 25 but I am not able to see any difference Still system is posting +ive entries.

I have craeted a new Base Method 099 - "Special: percentage from useful life"

a new Multi Level method '099' - "60.0000%/ 0.0000%/100.0000%"

Under Deprication Key ZSGD - "Str.-line from rem.life to book value zero_GCC1" two line itesm are there

Orinary Dep Phase Base Method Decl. -bal. method Prd cont Multi Lvel Method Change Method Change Over

Orinary Dep 1 0011 001 ZGC 001 5 0.0

Orinary Dep 2 0099 001 003 099 0.0

In multi level Method 3 line items are there I have checked remaining life for all the 3.

I am still getting the same values. Plz help Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

All these symptoms shows that you do not have extension EA-FIN active in your system.. ( you can check this in transaction SFW5 Under Enterprise Extension you will find entry for EA-FIN, if the bulb is enlightened then that means its active else it is inactive)

If this is the case then check following notes on this topic:

also, have a look at wonderful blogs written by Nathan Ganez on same

/people/nathan.genez/blog

Regards,

Sayujya

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks,

I am trying to add More Itervals in AS02 by double clicking Depriciation Areas -> MOre Intervals -> Add Intervals

But when i try to do the same in Production I am not able to fine the MOre Intervals Button instead I can see only CHosse Interval Button

The same is working fine in Quality.

What can be the reason. Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

What happened to dep. cal.? is it calculating correctly now? about EA-FIN?

Make sure that you are not in AS03 by any chance or you might have double clicked on such dep. area where values are copied from other dep. area.

Go to AS02 and double click on dep are 01..

Regards,

Sayujya

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

EA-FIN is activated. I am trying to check the scenarios.

For that I need to add more intervals and stuck up at this point. No I am in AS02.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check SAP Note.. 913249

.. some text from this note..

In the Screen Painter (Transaction SE51), change the screen SAPLAIST 3095. On the "Element list" -> "Mod groups/functions" tab page, enter the "EA-FIN" switch for the "TIME" element and as Reaction to Switch enter "Display". Save and activate the screen afterwards.

Regards,

Sayujya

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

I am in AS02 and checked all possibilites. The tab add interval is not visible in AS02.

Plz Help Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its difficult to tell what could be the issue.. you can take this up to SAP OSS.

Regards,

Sayujya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check activation status of your Dep key and reactivate again (Even though it is showing as active). I am not sure whether this will work or not..

Regards,

Sayujya

former_member183818
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, I have raised SAP OSS. I tried in QAS and the result is ok. One scenario here is

I have run depriciation for April MAy and June. Can I increase the life of the asset from April ?

When I try to increase the life of the asset from April (depriciation run) I am getting a Positive figure (difference posted in the sixth month)

and if i try to increase the life from July (where the depriciation is not run) the result is comming in negative.

Is there any possibility that I can increase the life from April (already posted ) and no positive values posted.

Pls help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not Possible..

Regards,

Sayujya