cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CATS Time sheet and Leave Request process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I don't have much more experience about CATS and ESS applications, so correct me if I'm wrong. The goal is to implement the ESS Leave Request process for some absences, and have the web based CATS Time sheet approval (it can be done in ESS also? or is a web-CATS functionality?). The question here is, if there will be any problems about data consistency, since the Leave Request process updates PAXXXX tables after the approval, and CATS reads from its own database. So the questions are:

1) If a Leave Request has been approved for the whole next week, how can CATS "gets aware" of this days-off time and avoid an employee to enter time sheet data in that week?? How is this "PA reading process" accomplished in CATS?

2) Does this Absence can be shown in CATS as "zero working hours" or blocked in the time sheet so the employee can't enter normal working hours in that week?

3) If this "zero working hours" are stored in CATSDB, will there be an impact to Cost Accounting?

3) When are the Leave Quotas (IT2006) updated in a Leave Request process? Immediately at the moment of the manager's approval? or later in another process?

I will appreciate any help you can give, including links, resources, and best practices advices.

View Entire Topic
Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP ESS application is fully integrated with CATS application.Record working times on the ESS portal writes the entries into CATSDB table and depending on your rules you can set up work flows to send notification to the managers informing that time has been pending for approval and then you can set up for automated transfer to SAP tables 2001 and 2002.

Leave request under working time in ESS -lets an employee enter leave and workflow(WF) set up sends notification to manager and after approval -posting job posts the leave request to 2002 infotype.

Coming to answer your questions:

1) If a Leave Request has been approved for the whole next week, how can CATS "gets aware" of this days-off time and avoid an employee to enter time sheet data in that week?? How is this "PA reading process" accomplished in CATS?

A:When an leave request is entered and approved and in 2002 infotype and employee tries to enter record working time during the same leave request dates then working time throws a Collision with Full day HR record error.

This could be setup in the CATS data entry profile in SPRO- Cross-application components-time sheet-specific settings for CATS regular.

2) Does this Absence can be shown in CATS as "zero working hours" or blocked in the time sheet so the employee can't enter normal working hours in that week?

A: Not sure of this - but the same is acheived above with an error.

3) If this "zero working hours" are stored in CATSDB, will there be an impact to Cost Accounting?

A: Not sure of this too.

3) When are the Leave Quotas (IT2006) updated in a Leave Request process? Immediately at the moment of the manager's approval? or later in another process?

A: Absence quotas 200 is updated after the schema (Time eval ) is run.

Thanks

Shalini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shalini, thanks so much for your answers. I still have some missing points regarding this process, so you'll be very kind if you help me to clarify your following sentences:

Regarding question number 1: Just to be sure... At what point does CATS read the HR data? Every time the application is run? For example, lets assume that a Leave Request (using ESS application, not CATS) is approved at 11:30am. If I open the web application to record my working time in CATS at 10:00am, I won't see any absence record, but if I open the web application again at 1:00pm, I will see the approved record.. it's like that?

Regarding question number 3: I was talking about the quota deduction (IT2006), that as far as I know, occurs immediately after the absence is recorded in infotype 2001. Absences Quotas are updated in the Time Evaluation process when a new entitlement is generated. Am i right?

What happens when working times are stored already in CATSDB and a new Leave Request is approved using ESS application. Does this will cause a collision error at the moment the data is transferred from CATS to HR ?

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regarding question number 1: Just to be sure... At what point does CATS read the HR data? Every time the application is run? For example, lets assume that a Leave Request (using ESS application, not CATS) is approved at 11:30am. If I open the web application to record my working time in CATS at 10:00am, I won't see any absence record, but if I open the web application again at 1:00pm, I will see the approved record.. it's like that?

A: CATS can read only when data is in HR table (assumption data as leave request) .If leave request cannot be approved at 11:30 if there is time entry done at 10 am. let us say a time entry is done at 10 -but not yet approved or transfered to HR 2001 infotype and leave request is entered at 10:15 am (it will allow the entry) and sent for approval. At 10:30 manager approves

time entry and this time entry is transferred into 2001 infotype. Then if manager tries to approve leave -it will show a warning or hard error(depending on your setup) of collision with another time entry.

Vice versa works too - Time entry will show the same error if a leave requested is approved and posted to HR first.

If one of the entry is there,even if you donot see it and enter the other -work flow doesn't allow to post both on the same day.

Hope it clarifies your question

Regarding question number 3: I was talking about the quota deduction (IT2006), that as far as I know, occurs immediately after the absence is recorded in infotype 2001. Absences Quotas are updated in the Time Evaluation process when a new entitlement is generated. Am i right?

Yes you are - Deduction of quota is reflected immediately-Entitlement of quota accrual reflects after TE.

What happens when working times are stored already in CATSDB and a new Leave Request is approved using ESS application. Does this will cause a collision error at the moment the data is transferred from CATS to HR ?

A: As answered above -one of them will throw a collision error.

Thanks

Shalini

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again for your help !