cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability Check vs Available to Promise (ATP)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am confused between Availability check vs ATP. What is the difference between these two? It seems to me both also checks for the availability of materials. Which one is more useful?

From the help file, it says

Availability check= A procedure that ensures that there are enough components available for planned or production orders in production planning and production control.

ATP= Function used to check, together with certain basic methods, if a product can be confirmed.

I can't really make out the difference between the two definitions.

I hope someone out there can help clarify.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Sue

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi,

Thanks for all the answers. It was really helpful.

From my understanding based on all the replies, this means that availability check is part of the bigger picture. ATP is one of the ways used to implement availability check. Pls correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks so much.

Rgds,

Sue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you got it right...

A little more understanding of what those 3 types are

Check on the basis of the ATP quantities

Check against product allocation

Check against planning

In Customizing, you determine whether an availability check is to be carried out against the ATP quanitity or against planning. The check against product allocations is controlled in the material master and elsewhere in the system.

<b>Check on the Basis of the ATP Quantities</b>

The ATP quantity (ATP = Available To Promise) is calculated from the warehouse stock, the planned inward movements of stock (production orders, purchase orders, planned orders) and the planned outward movements of stock (sales orders, deliveries, reservations). This type of check is performed dynamically for each transaction, taking into account the relevant stock and planned goods movements with or without replenishment lead time. Planned independent requirements are not taken into account here.

<b>Check against Product Allocation</b>

Product allocation facilitates period-based distribution of products for certain customers or regions. As of Release 3.0F, you can carry out an availability check against product allocation. This ensures, for example, that when production is low, the first customer does not get the full amount, resulting in following sales orders not being confirmed or being confirmed far too late.

<b>Check against planning</b>

The check against planning is performed against independent requirements which are usually created for an ‘anonymous’ market rather than being customer-specific (for example, in the strategy ‘Planning without assembly’, when production occurs only up to the stocking level). The planned independent requirements result from demand program planning and are used for planning expected sales quantities independent of orders.

Tan, the above info is from sap library which i pasted here to clear further.

Thanks & Regards

Sadhu Kishore

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Av. Check is a broad concept which can be carried out basically in three different ways. One among that is Av.check with Available to Promise ( ATP) logic or Against Planning , second Av. Check against production allocation and Rule based Av. Check.

This we carry out in SD > Basic Functions > Av. Check and Transfer Of Requirements. Just to conclude under availability check we have one way to do it is ATP logic.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards

Sadhu Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ATP Check is checking of availablty quantities i.e ATP = Total Warehouse Stock + Planned receipts(Incoming Stock) - Planned Issues (Out going stock)

Availbilty Check is an integral part of business process it determines the if the desire deliverible quantity can be met on requested delivery date or not.Then it passes to Material Requirement Planning.

Thanks,

Vinay

rmazzali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

They are the same:

you check the availability using the ATP configuration.

Roberto