Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset replaced by a new one

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

We are facing the situation below:

Asset are replaced  free of charge one by the vendor due to guarantee. For some of them, the depreciation is already started.

Lets say asset bought in 01/ 2013 and deprecation started at this date.

In 10/2013, the vendor replaced it by a new one.

Could you tell me which is the best practice to manage the old and the new asset please?

Thanks.

Regards.

A.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its just a replacement, my recommendation would to change only the inventory number in case if you are maintaining it.

let old asset remain as same in SAP.

Thanks

SKKS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sethuraman,

We are using a Belgium chart of account.

If we keep the old asset, what about the useful life?

1/I f you get a new asset, the useful life will be extended. Let's say if the  useful life is 5 years. And you get the new one after one year use,, so the useful life of the asset will be extended.

2/ What about If the attribute of the new asset are not the same the old one?

Possible solution:

Transfer old asset to the new one ( to be created)

reevaluate the new asset and Change its useful life

Is it possible?

Regards.

A.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

If the attributes and useful life are different for the new asset, then you can transfer the balances to the new asset vide ABUMN T code so that the old asset will be deactivated.

You dont need to revaluate the new asset.

You can define attributes applicable to the new asset like start date of depreciation, useful life etc.

Hope it clarifies.

Regards,

G.Sethuraman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thx a lot Sethuraman

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

I want to know which country you are in and which Accounting Standards you are following as per your country to give you a precise suggestion.

But in general, as long as you are not spending any additional cost on acquiring the new asset and it's type and useful life are not changing, you can maintain the same asset number and values in SAP. You could only change the inventory number if you are maintaining any such, to identify the new inventory number. i.e. update the new inventory number in the old asset.

Hope it clarifies.

Regards,

G.Sethuraman