DevOps and System Administration Discussions
Dive into SAP DevOps and system administration. Join discussions to collaborate on optimizing workflows, share knowledge, and leverage resources effectively.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage Environment Variables - CI/CD - Cloud Foundry MTA Deployments

sachin-fernando
Explorer
0 Kudos

I would appreciate some guidance/ pointers to some resources on this issue I am facing.

In my SAP trial Cloud Foundry environment I have configured a CI/CD pipeline using AzureDevOps. I have been able to configure the build and deployments stages for the master branch which points to a production environment. This is a UI5 application and the deployment is done as an MTA.

I wish to expand this pipeline to work across different branches i.e. I wish to have two other branches for development and testing and have these pipelines deploy the app to the corresponding development and testing branches.

What I need help with is setting up environment variables for each environment in each branch. What is the best way to do this for MTAs?

For starters, I would like to have environment specific app names and environment specific data sources for my app. This can be done my modifying the manifest.json in my application, is there a way to refer an environment specific manifest.json file for each branch? i.e. dev-manifest.json , test-manifest.json or prod-manifest.json

Can a similar thing be done to modify the mta.yaml based on the branch that is being built?

This is the kind of app I am dealing with for your reference; https://github.com/MFredX/sap-btp-ci-cd

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

BorisZarske
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hello Sachin,

Normally, such environment-specific parameters are handled via MTA Extension Descriptors:

"The Multitarget Application (МТА) extension descriptor is a YAML file that contains data complementary to the deployment descriptor. The data can be environment or deployment specific, for example, credentials depending on the user who performs the deployment." [taken from Defining MTA Extension Descriptors - SAP Help Portal] - handling in the MTA archive is also described here: Metadata for Properties and Parameters - SAP Help Portal

Might be worth a look...

Best regards,
Boris

0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

I did come across the MTA extension descriptors but I did come across a couple of resources that said the extension descriptors cannot be used to customise properties such as the identifier and version. What options do I have in this case?

Further more, when developing UI5 applications; are there any similar methods to configure the manifest.json for different environments?