cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping track of workgroup users

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are currently looking for an effective way of identify all of our workgroup users.

With offline sites, it is obviously much easier to identify them as they all have a site in admin console but for workgroup we are finding that people are being missed out on updates etc because install records are sometimes not maintained.

The best way that I can think of at the moment is by comparing SMOUSERS with SMOHSITEID on our worrkgroup server, but I notice also that there is a table called SMOUSERCATEGORY, which is currently empty in our system.

Does anyone know what fills this table or does anyone have any better ideas?

Regards

James

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Table SMOUSERCATEGORY is used for PDA solution so cannot be used here.

I did not get your question regarding updates to the workgroup clients are missed out?

Are you talking about MUPs being sent to workgroup clients.Because that can be checked by the clientupgrade log.

cheers

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek

Hope you are well

The issue that we face is keeping track of who has actually got workgroup installed.

Scenario:

- We have a new MUP that needs to be applied to all clients

- We send it via conntrans to all offline clients

- We send an email with a link to a batch file which triggers the MUP for all workgroup users....

but we do not necessarily know all of the users that have workgroup client installed! THAT is the problem.

A manual record of all installs is maintained in a list currrently, but sometimes people get new PC's or someone forgets to update the list (sometimes it is even installed by IT support guys without our knowledge)

We DO have SMS running on all machines which returns very detailed information about the software loaded onto each machine (including all program files), so I guess I am asking if the workgroup installation has any files that are different (ie recognisably workgroup) from a normal offline installation.

Alternatively, a way of being able to identify all Mobile Sales users in the gui which can then be compared with SMOHSITEID to remove the offline users.

Sorry for the wordy response

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

The best way to use would be SMOHSITEID and SMOHQTAB.(you have the queue name also here). SMOUSERS may not always be correct as the login to MSA involves joins between SMOUSERS and SMOMITABT..So there can be a case where you have entries in SMOUSERS but not in SMOMITABT which could lead to inconsistencies..

So the best way would be to use SMOHSITEID and SMOHQTAB.

Regards,

Abishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that we are almost there but SMOHQTAB does not help identify the workgroup users, it verifies the offline users.

I will try to compare smohsiteid with a join on smousers and smomitabt and see where that gets me.

In the meantime, I will leave the thread open as I think that the real key for me is in the program files of the local install

Things like:

Are there any program files that are different on a workgroup install?

Are there any program files that are present in an offline install that are missing on a workgroup client?

Are there any drivers that are missing in a workgroup install?

I guess that a big giveaway would be conntrans.exe...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

I am doing good. Logged into SDN after some days so could not reply earlier.

I think most of the framework files for workgroup clients and standard clients should be the same, only the interpration would be different for standard and workgroup installations.

You can check it is by going to the following registry key

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTYWARE -> SAP -> MSA -> MW -> SECURITY -> USER

there is a "server" parameter which would have the name of the standard client for standard installation and it will point to the workgroup server for all workgroup clients.

So if your workgroup server is WGS0001, then all workgroup clients will point to it. Search for all clients pointing to this server and you will know how many workgroup users/installations are there.

2.You can also check under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTYWARE -> SAP -> MSA -> MW -> TL

Parameter SITE_ID would be empty

RECV_DATA would be 0

SEND_DATA would be 0

So you pick and choose which registry key you want to read to get this info.

cheers

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Vivek

Plenty for me to check.

Best wishes to you and family

James

Answers (0)