Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling update Hybris 5.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are running Hybris v 5.1.1.0.

We are trying to set up cluster to have uptime 100%.

We have achived that and everything is fine, except when we want to deploy update. If we run update on node1, node2 also display maintenance page.

I have found that this can be done by creating new type system: https://wiki.hybris.com/pages/viewpage.action?spaceKey=release5&title=Rolling+Update+on+the+Cluster

However this works only on Hybris v 5.3.0+.

How can we run update on node 1 so node 2 can be "online" in Hybris v 5.1.1.0?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could take one node out of the cluster, and use this to perform the update, and deploy the code changes. You can then bring this node back into the cluster, take the other node out of the cluster, and perform the code update on that cluster. So long as there are no data changes that may cause a problem to the original node, this should be sufficient for your purposes. There's the usual concern of whether there are customers half way through a transaction when you take the node out, but you can drain the node of connections with a decent load balancer, or if you've got session replication then this would mitigate this particular issue.

Your backend nodes are going to show as being down during the update - not much you can do about that - but unless you are making massive changes, this shouldn't be running for too long.

However, sometimes you can only get management to agree to an upgrade when the alternative is more distasteful. This seems like the perfect opportunity to make that case, and take the potential downtime as an incentive.

Even with a rolling update, there are some data changes (e.g. if an attribute name or sometimes type changes or there's a general data remodelling) that may necessitate some downtime on rare occasions, so you may shoot for 100% uptime, but in reality (and with large upgrades) you sometimes need some downtime.

former_member387866
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ondrej,

If the resources were available, it should possible for you to use the Scenario 2 - Switching between the Clusters. The only issue would arise in the sessions already going on on the node they might become invalidated.

Another thing to be wary of is the End-Of-Life (EOL) status of the hybris versions. Your version went EOL in June 2016. It will no longer receive patches. This may put you at risk of Security Exploits.

Regards,
Luke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Luke, thank you for your quick reply. We are aware of EOL and we are planing to move on higher version.

Anyway, we have only two nodes in cluster. And from scenario 2, I don't understand, how to roll update without being connected to the DB. As I know, my problem is that when we are updating for example node 1 and all traffic is forwarded to node 2, node 1 stores information that is being updated into DB. Please correct me if I am wrong. I curently don't know how to perform update without connection to the DB.

Thank you, BR Ondrej

former_member387866
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Scenario 2 is where you have a second cluster prepared and then just switch over using the load balancer. It's based on the BlueGreenDeployment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

so you have to have two DBs?

there is no option to roll update in Hybris 5.1 with only one DB? Do we have to migrate to Hybris 5.3?