cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Products in CRM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hiya,

Usually all the products(materials) are downloaded from R/3. Then what's the advantage of creating products in CRM or enhancement of product master using set types & attributes? What are the practical advantages of product enhancement? If we do define new attributes in CRM, how are they transferred to R/3?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anirudh,

There is no advantage in creating your products in CRM from a pure order to cash lifecycle. The reason why set types and attributes exist in CRM are for the following reasons:

1. Expand the standard CRM product master when you have enhanced the material material master.

2. Allow for a standard material master field that does not get uploaded to be present in CRM.

3. Provide new fields to be used in other CRM applications that don't affect your backend order processing.

One thing to keep in mind about CRM is that all products have "no attributes" until they are assigned to a category that has an attribute set. Technically even the "standard fields" in CRM, are simply an attribute assignment that is inherited upon download.

If you define new attributes in CRM, and they need to go to R/3 you must enhance the middleware. Likewise you will need to enhance the middleware if you want to download fields that in R/3 that are not part of the standard transfer to CRM. Depending on your project requirements, this is a normal activity.

Another recommendation when dealing with attribute sets, is that best practice is to properly define the sets in development before making the transport to QA. You can change the sets later, but in general your life will be easier if you only transport a new attribute set once in your landscape.

Take care,

Stephen

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

harsh_satsangi
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The structure of CRM is more organized.The settypes and attributes are some ways by which the Products are organized.

The data comming from the R/3 could be anything pertaining to products but how they are represented in CRM is through the settypes.

The settypes and attributes dont get transferred to R/3 they are the CRM specifics.

Also there are some attributes which capture the R/3 related data, there also can be such attributes which only pertains to CRM and it is not passed to it. This CRM specific data is maintained only in CRM.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Harsh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can't answer all of your question but I'm pretty sure the extra attributes are very useful when using the product catalog in the ISA webshop for instance. I'm guessing that these attributes do not feed back to R/3 as they likely aren't needed there.

Thanks,

Gareth.