cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can some one outline the difference between addon and extension?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a requirement where I have to add additional command to the existing list of commands in oob payment extension. Given my requirement , I can create an custom extension [which depends on payment extension] and place the custom commands within my custom extension.

But with the new concept of addon should I need to think twice on whether to create an extension or addon.

What is preferred and why?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member595526
Active Participant
0 Kudos

addon is related with storefront activities. Addon can be installed to storefront and uninstalled from storefront.

if you have anything to override from storefront, then It is advisable to create an addon

when builds happens addon files are copied to your storefront.

Extension is for backend stuffs.

Hope it helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

An Addon is an extension with an acceleratoraddon folder.

Essentially they will do everything an extension does plus provide a way to add mvc code, view assets (css, js, images etc) + jsp to an accelerator based web app.

Here's a bit more material : https://wiki.hybris.com/display/media/Accelerator+AddOns

Former Member
0 Kudos

Appreciate your response. In my case, I don't have an usecase for adding view components as of now but potentially in the future. So is it future proof to use an addon.

Is there any difference in the build process which needs to be considered for an addon as compared to an extension.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you don't need a view part you will gain no future proofing by making it an AddOn now.

You can always add the acceleratorsaddon folder later to the extension.

AddOns do add a copy step to the build process, but this only occurs if they are installed with the addoninstall build task or the storefronts extensioninfo.xml has the Addon explicitly declares as a dependency.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The copy step seems to be executed always when the storefront has any dependecy to the addon. The addon does not need to be installed with addoninstall and the dependecy doesn't need to be explicitly in the storefronts extensioninfo.xml.