Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is separate servers required for Development and quality system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

why is separate servers required for Development and quality systems? Why cant i maintain a single server for both the activity? By doing this cant i cut down cost and time in a implementation project? Answers required with valid reasons.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shafiq

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

It is NOT required. Actually at my company, we started out with our DEV and QA systems on one server. Two totaly separate instances on the same box, then after some time, we actually went to one instance for DEV and QA. meaning that we do development in the same instance/client that we also test it.

So right now, we have two boxes, each with one instance of SAP on them. DEV/QA and PRD.

Regards,

RIch Heilman

7 REPLIES 7

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

It is NOT required. Actually at my company, we started out with our DEV and QA systems on one server. Two totaly separate instances on the same box, then after some time, we actually went to one instance for DEV and QA. meaning that we do development in the same instance/client that we also test it.

So right now, we have two boxes, each with one instance of SAP on them. DEV/QA and PRD.

Regards,

RIch Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

This is called the LANDSCAPE arrangement of SAP system.

In SAP there will be 2 system Landscape and 3 system landscape mostly

We use depending on the requirement we arrange them in 3 boxes and name DEV,QUALITY and PRD.

Sometime we put DEV and QULAITY in the same box, which is a 2 system landscape.

We develop in development client. We have to test it in some client, we can't simply put them in PRD and test.

So the developments made in DEV are put in QUALITY and tested first before moving them to PRD.

performance also will be good in 3 system.

Reward points if useful

Regards

Anji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there will be real time data maintained in quality server and i.e perfect data which is replica of real production data.

where as Dev serever contains data which is also a real time production data, but as we developers do updating and modification of data in data base tables and if only 1 server is maintained it effects the real data and hence 2 sepearet servers are maintained.

after development is done its is transported to Quality .

\[removed by moderator\]

Regards,

Naveen

Edited by: Jan Stallkamp on Jun 27, 2008 11:48 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all.

I just need some clarification from Anji and Naveen. As Rlch says y cant we have a single box for both the activity? Say a manufacturing company with around 30 outlets around the world implements SAP. As per the business requirement we arrive at a solution of two clients on the final production server for two different business sector of the client.Now in a single box i create three client,i.e two exactly as that of the production server for quality testing where authorization to change data is restricted and one client for development where the development team can play around with the data.Cant this single box be used for both development and quality now? As per the requirement the data is going to be exact as that of production server and testing can be done efficiently and also development can done without trouble.Arent we saving cost by eliminating one box and also time by bypassing the process of transport from development and quality system? what is really want to know is on the long run the client decides to expand his business and outlet to say 30 more. Now my single box where i have both dev and quality, will it be able to handle things for development and testing of new business objects as and when the requirement comes in?

Rlch please give your thoughts also.

Regards,

Shafiq

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi shafiq,

generally for development one server is used as we have to develop so many objects in different clients and also development server contains some dummy data which is used for unit testing.

production server is mainly contains the real world data(live data) which the object has to be tested before released and after its release and in production no development is done.any issues from clients are dealt in here.

so s.a.p recommends to use 3 separate servers for

> development ( which may have 2 or more than 2 clients)

> quality ( which may have 2 or more than 2 clients)

> production (has exactly one client)

0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

If quality system is going to be a system where simulation of production system is done(Both have exactly same data), y should we have two or more clients there. Y cant it be exactly like the production server with just one client?

Regards,

Shafiq

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello @all,

thanks or the answers.

So after all, I think the question "2 or 3 systems" depends on the size of your business...

In my case I am connecting about 20-30 external partners via XI to R/3. So here I think just one system for development and testing will be ok...

Cheers,

CHRISTOPH