Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use data set and when to use gui_uplaod in BDC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

How does one know,whether to use data set or gui_uploadfunction module(I'm working on 4.6c and this FM is to be used .if im nt wrong).

If given a choice where to palce the file (meant to contain the data for uplaod) where I shud be placign it(application or presetation system).

please gimem soem example code and instance in which it;s used.

regards

13 REPLIES 13

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can only use FM gui_upload to read data from the presentation server. To read data from the application server you have to use the 'open dataset' and 'transfer' statements.

Good luck

Marcel Kempers

0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

thak you for the information.gui_upload FM is available only from 4.6c or versions prior to it. I"m on 4.6c.

I want to know whether it's better to work/code with file in presentation server or application server.

I also want o know whether I shud go with batch iput/session or call transaction,and please tell me the reason for choosing a particular type of BDC.

regards

henry weg

Message was edited by: henry

0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Whether you want the file to be on the presentation server or on the application server is a choice that you have to make.

If your SAP system is linked to some other system and that system sends data to the SAP system in a file format, then it would be FTPed to the application Server of your SAP system.

This is one common scenario.

If you put the file on the presentation server, then the program which accesses the file cannot be run without a user sitting in front of the screen, logged on to the SAP system. this means that a file on the presentation server cannot be processed in background.

Application server is also preferred in case the data in the file is huge. If such a file is loaded from the presenation server, then it may take a long time to get uploaded and then it has to be processed. This may lead to time-outs in many cases. If the file is on the application server, then since you can process it in background, you will never have the problem of the progrma timing out.

Also, having a file on the presentation server leads to the assumption (and not a totally untrue one at that) that the data in the file is actually user-specific. At least it is (certainly) determined by the user.

Hope the point is clear. If not, get back.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

0 Kudos

Hi henry,

you can only use gui upload if your file is on the presentation server and your program runs in foreground. If your program should run in background you have to use open/transfer/close dataset. Addionally you need to make sure that the file is accessible for SAP.

regards

Siggi

0 Kudos

And your second question regarding BDC, I generally prefer to use the <b>call transaction</b> method.

But before you go ahead with BDC, please verify if there's already a BAPI available for the transaction.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

0 Kudos

Where you store your file depends on your personal circumstances. How is the file being created? If stored on the server do you have access UNIX to edit files, move to different directories etc if need be. Generally it is convenient to have it on your presentation server for one-off uploads. For interfaces you probably would have it on the application server and there would be procedures in ploace to move the files to the appropriate directory on the application server.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

For interfaces I recommend you use the application server, because you can run your interface in the background, as mentioned by other SDN'ers.

If you use call transaction you have to think about what to do with error messages, which are possibly returned. If you use BIM, the errors will be in the BIM and you probably will have to correct them manually. So the questions is were and how do I organize my error handling.

Good luck!

Marcel

0 Kudos

Hi Anand, and every one....It's really fantabulous,I've got almost all the things cleared on hwo to start.

How to find out the BAPI.I've to call thsi BDC in a ZBAPI only,as it's nto uplaoding other item data required and the purpose is not getting served compleely .this is the modfication which I'm suppose to do.

thanks and regards

0 Kudos

In your case, I think there's no BAPI then. Seems like you're doing some customized processing. Go ahead with your BDC.

And if you're happy , please close the thread by marking it as answered.

0 Kudos

hi all,

can any tell me plz how to convert an excel file into word file,so that the delimiter is set automatically for the uplaod.

plz elabarate the following situation solution

In case of header item data how to code for the uploading BDC.

If the header data is in one file and item datea in another file.

both header n item data are in same file.

I wan to know...the number of internal tables I shud have or the necessary code I shud be using in BDC.

thanks n regards

henry

0 Kudos

thanq MR.Anand,Once I'm done I'll let you know and I'll give u full points to all of you.

u r very very fast Mr.Anand.keep it up

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

GUI_upload FM is available only from 4.6c.

you can use this GUI_UPLOAD if you are doing the BDC in forground and you r uploading the data from the presentation server.

You use data sets if you want to make that BDC program to run in the bacground job and you have to place your data file in application server because at the time background job data will be pickup from the application server.

batch iput session will be used if you have large amount of data .

call transaction for small amount of data,

Thanks & Regards,

Raghu