Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you use these tools ?

former_member186444
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm just digging around to make sure I'm aware of all the tools available to analyse abap programs. So far, I have a list including:

SE30, ST05, ST12, ST04, SCI & the memory analyzer.

There seems to be a bit of a cross-over between some of the tools. I'm just wondering if people out there have their own rules as to when they use each one.....or an order to which they would use them ?

thanks,

Malcolm.

6 REPLIES 6

former_member194613
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the first tool you should use is the STAD, gives you an overview on backend times, and how it splits in DB and ABAP. There you can already see what is more interesting DB, ABAP or Memory

Details of ABAP can be seen by SE30, see

SE30

/people/siegfried.boes/blog/2007/11/13/the-abap-runtime-trace-se30--quick-and-easy

Details of Database can be see in ST05, see:

/people/siegfried.boes/blog/2007/09/05/the-sql-trace-st05-150-quick-and-easy

The ST12 is a tool combining the SE30 and the ST05, there are some additional features.

It is a tool for service and not in the SAP standard. If you get used to it, it can be useful.

SCI Code Inspector check you coding and dictionary setting, can be scheduled for

regular checks, useful there are three blogs on the code inspector checks.

Memory analyser ... as it say, if there are problems with memory, see STAD.

ST04 database monitor, system check of database performance. Cursor cache displays

expensive executed statements.

Scaling of a solution with many data:

Nonlinearity: The problem and background

/people/siegfried.boes/blog/2007/02/12/performance-problems-caused-by-nonlinear-coding

Z_SE30_COMPARE

/people/siegfried.boes/blog/2008/01/15/a-tool-to-compare-runtime-measurements-zse30compare

Nonlinearity Check

/people/siegfried.boes/blog/2008/01/24/nonlinearity-check-using-the-zse30compare

Siegfried

Thomas8
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From a developer point of view focussing on specific programs, not monitoring the entire system:

- SCI: must not show red or yellow messages before a program leaves DEV system

- SE30: when a program needs an unusually long time for a given task, to nail down the problematic statements

- ST05: when the step above reveiled problematic SQL statements

- ST12: not in our system anymore, I remember it being very powerful (see above post)

Then there is coverage analyzer, runtime monitor and memory inspector, which I haven't used much yet.

Thomas

0 Kudos

thanks for the answers guys, very useful. There's a lot to read and think about there, I'll give them some thought.

0 Kudos

Hi Malcolm,

SM50 could be added to the already mentioned. (To find out the status of a program that is currently running).

Kind regards,

Hermann

former_member194613
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the latest Code Inspector blog, which contains also the links to the other two

/people/randolf.eilenberger/blog/2009/01/21/code-inspector146s-performance-checks-iii

0 Kudos

thanks Siegfried.