Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What SAP career path pays the most salary

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know it sounds little odd but I really need to know what SAP career got the best opportunity to grow and pays the most salary? The reason I'm asking this because, I have the option to chose whatever SAP career path I want to get in. I have 5 years of SQL Server development/Data Warehouse and 2/3 years of ASP, VB, .NET object-oriented programming experience. My current company is implementing SAP and already sent me to BC400 ABAP course. My manager asked me to take whichever SAP certification path I would like..meaning I can take 5/6 courses towards any SAP certification. I really need some experts guidence. So far I liked the ABAP programming and I also like working with databases as well. Please give me some advice on how to utilize my training courses for the best SAP career path. Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Syed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sougata
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With your background I don't see how you can do anything else apart from programming i.e. ABAP. It doesn't matter whether you apply this programming skills to R/3 or BW or CRM etc. but at the end of the day it is ABAP (be it procedural or OO). I don't share your manager's view that you can take whichever SAP certification path you like...yes, you could take 5 courses but it'll make more sense if they are all related to ABAP programming.

The bad news bit is money is not so good in ABAP any more than it used to be 5-6 years ago because nowadays supply is much more than demand. A lot (if not all) of consulting companies hire fresh IT graduates, send them for a 5 day BC400 course plus few weeks of inadequate/unplanned in-house training and put them in implementation projects convincing clients they are experienced consultants! As a result they are able to undercut massively because they don't have to pay the freshers well...these kids sit there in the project and instead of contributing they make it a platform to learn ABAP....and the end result is the market rate/salary for many highly experienced ABAP professionals come down. Just simple economics I reckon!!

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

how much you get is based on your capability and expertise

as of now every thing is doing good if you have knowledge and expertise on netwear the growing interest in the market good for career

if you are expert in database modaling and design BW is good

and most important thing is we should have business process understanding in the area we are working on .

all the best and have a nice day.

Regards,

Srinu reddy

0 Kudos

Srinu,

Thanks for your response. Really appreciate it. I think my experience would be helpfll if I go through the BW, data modeling kind of stuff but ABAP and OO might have more potential. Thanks.

Sougata
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With your background I don't see how you can do anything else apart from programming i.e. ABAP. It doesn't matter whether you apply this programming skills to R/3 or BW or CRM etc. but at the end of the day it is ABAP (be it procedural or OO). I don't share your manager's view that you can take whichever SAP certification path you like...yes, you could take 5 courses but it'll make more sense if they are all related to ABAP programming.

The bad news bit is money is not so good in ABAP any more than it used to be 5-6 years ago because nowadays supply is much more than demand. A lot (if not all) of consulting companies hire fresh IT graduates, send them for a 5 day BC400 course plus few weeks of inadequate/unplanned in-house training and put them in implementation projects convincing clients they are experienced consultants! As a result they are able to undercut massively because they don't have to pay the freshers well...these kids sit there in the project and instead of contributing they make it a platform to learn ABAP....and the end result is the market rate/salary for many highly experienced ABAP professionals come down. Just simple economics I reckon!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sougata,

Appreciate your response. I agree with you but don't you think there are more Microsoft SQL Server, VB.NET professionals than SAP ABAP professionals in the market? Also, don't you think SAP-ABAP still would have little better career potential than Microsoft SQL Server, .NET since everyone is learning Microsoft these days..also Microsoft is convenience to learn.

Another new & area in the ABAP programming is Web Dynpro...which might be great in addition to have ABAP experience. Please let me know your thoughts regarding Web Dynpro.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos

The reason why SAP is #1 in growth & pay is, it serve the Industries..Its the Number 1 ERP S/W. As long as Induries are up, SAP market is ever green.

As many ppl said, Dont only choose ABAP, along with ABAP take some emerging technnology in SAP, like Webdynpro for ABAP/Java, XI, Visual composer, etc.

If you know ABAP OO, webdynpro for ABAP & BSP will be very easier to learn for you.

Still ABAP has good market compare to VB, .NET.

HR ABAP is also in high demand.

<b>*Reward each useful answer</b>

Raja T

Message was edited by:

Raja Thangamani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raja,

Thank you so much for your reponse. I really liked your positive attitude towards ABAP development. You've mentioned about HR ABAP....how many other types of ABAP programming are there? Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos

ABAP is same everywhere across the modules (like MM, SD, FI etc). But HR is slightly different than other module.. HR module is always special & hot in market since you know the reason

I would suggest you to read ABAP, becos if you know ABAP you can pick up any advanced concepts like Webdynpro for ABAP, Workflow, BSP etc

<b>*Reward each useful answer</b>

Raja T

Former Member
0 Kudos

i think u have sound knowledge in IT field.

my idea is study sap abap.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raja,

Thanks again for your reply. I think, I will study on ABAP programming in details. I'm going to my second ABAP training course in two weeks on BC401 Object Oriented. Hopefully, I will be able to participate on various SAP modules development in the near future.

Really appreciate all of your responses. You guys are awesome!

- Syed