Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch points

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I know that there are two ways of debugging in ABAP. One is setting the breakpoints and the other is watchpoint.Can anyone please explain me what is watch point, what is the need of going for that when we have debugging option, And how to work with watch point ? what is the difference between local and global watch point.

Regards,

Varun.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I use watch-point in two case :

- I want to stop when my internal table into a loop is on the good line. I don't want to click F5 200 before stop in the line 200 ... So I choose the internal_table-field I set the watch point to the value I would like ..

- I want to stop when a field have a value, I set for example, the field <> 'blank'. So when anything append in this field, the program stop.

Rgd

Frédéric

4 REPLIES 4

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I use watch-point in two case :

- I want to stop when my internal table into a loop is on the good line. I don't want to click F5 200 before stop in the line 200 ... So I choose the internal_table-field I set the watch point to the value I would like ..

- I want to stop when a field have a value, I set for example, the field <> 'blank'. So when anything append in this field, the program stop.

Rgd

Frédéric

Former Member
0 Kudos

from sap help...

Like a breakpoint, a watchpoint is an indicator in a program that tells the ABAP runtime processor to interrupt the program at a particular point. Unlike breakpoints, however, watchpoints are not activated until the contents of a specified field change. Watchpoints, like dynamic breakpoints, are user-specific, and so do not affect other users running the same program.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/c6/617cd9e68c11d2b2ab080009b43351/frameset.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Watch-point is nothing but like keep an watch on the internal table or any logical expression in a loop.suppose you have 500 records,but you want to check when your logical expression is satisfying,you keep a watch point & in the debugging mode the program would directly stop there.

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

watch points are used explicitly to stop for a particular record with some value.

say i have 10000 records , i am looping that itab, i cannot say F5 , to see for a particular record, in that case we will create watch point on itab-field which is equal to some value , when you say F8, then it will stay exactly that particular record.

it will save the debugging time.

for more info read this SAP help ..

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_webas610/helpdata/en/c6/617ce2e68c11d2b2ab080009b43351/content.htm

regards

vijay