Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to know Memory restriction using for all entries

0 Kudos

Hi,

i know some conditions like itab should not be empty

sort the table itab

delete duplicates

but my question is if master itab is empty it will fetch all the records is there any memory restriction on for using for all entries or it will give all the records if restriction is there what should i do?

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

if your internal table empty, then for all entries will result in selecting entire database table.

If your DB table has too many records, then this will result in a short dump.

Shruthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkatesh,

i know some conditions like itab should not be empty
sort the table itab
delete duplicates

As u said these are to be checked before writting FOR ALL ENTRIES statement.

if master itab (ITAB1) is empty, it will fetch all the records in to (ITAB2) in FOR ALL ENTRIES statement.I think there is no restrictions. But u need to check the data (No. of records). It is not good to have No.of records.

Best regards,

raam

former_member194613
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you must check whether the itab is empty.

the sort and delete duplicates is optional, you should not always do it, only when you know that it is necessary. And to be precise this check not really accurate.

You must check that there no duplicates in the fields which are used in the for all entries, this is smaller projection usually. A COLLECT could be the much faster option (be careful with numeric fields).

There are no explicit memory restriction with the FAE, but of course implicit. You will get a dump if your result itab is larger than the available memory.

Usually you should be far away from this limit. If you really work with mass selects then you should anyway take special care.

Siegfried