Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Training New ABAP Team Members

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All -

Will be required to identify training for ABAP team members for fresh install of ECC/BI NW2004s (EP and XI out of scope for Phase I). Is the content of these intro/intermediate courses (E.g. BC400, BC405, BC411,...)now drastically altered to the current release of NW2004s, or, as I have experienced in the past, is the change in these courses to consider NW2004s technology minor compared to the same courses as presented when current to say 4.6C? I.e. is the incremental change in course content for the intro/intermediate level ABAP courses vast between the releases or rather minor? Also, would the current version of these courses actually present NW2004s (AS 6.40) material?

Additionally, comments on best approaches to training new ABAP developers appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

suresh_datti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>is the change in these courses to consider NW2004s technology minor compared to the same courses as presented when current to say 4.6C?

The core logic may be the same.. but there is major shift toward Object Oriented approach & WebDynpro in NW2004s..

if the Dev team is big enough, you might want to request for an on-site trg session from SAp.. it might work out cheaper too..

~Suresh

7 REPLIES 7

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Those classes would most likely not have changed much since 46c as these courses focus on the most basic functionality of the Workbench, reporting, and data dicationary. All which haven't changed much for a while. New technologies will have there own courses, such as Web Dynpro for ABAP, or BSP development. These "newer" technologies wouldn't be covered in the "beginner" courses.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

suresh_datti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>is the change in these courses to consider NW2004s technology minor compared to the same courses as presented when current to say 4.6C?

The core logic may be the same.. but there is major shift toward Object Oriented approach & WebDynpro in NW2004s..

if the Dev team is big enough, you might want to request for an on-site trg session from SAp.. it might work out cheaper too..

~Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rich as your comments confirm what my thoughts/experience are with regard to intro/intermediate ABAP training. (Although I expect the courses are quite a bit different than when I completed them 8 years back!)

Any other comments on how to most efficiently train ABAP team members welcomed.

Thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos

Pat, your ABAP team has a good understanding of the fundumentals of ABAP and ABAP Objects? If so, what else would you like them to be proficient in regarding ABAP as it is in ECC6.0?

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rich -

At this point, the new team members have no exposure to SAP (E.g. never have logged on!). They have only m/f and mid-range experience with procedural languages.

My current approach will be to expose them to the ERP application as I believe understanding of the application is fundamental even (especially) for developers. Will focus on some key templates/concepts (E.g. ALV Control, interfacing technics, ...) at first. Trying to understand what the biggest bang for the buck would be for training these folks. Having been an SAP developer/functional for the last 9 years, I know they have to take one wave at a time.

Pat

0 Kudos

Your newbies really need to understand the system structure(3 teired) what each part does and how they interact, then move on to the development environment, they need to understand the objects, what is a report, a module pool, a function module, a class, a method, etc. They need to know the data dictionary and what that is all about. Now comes the syntax, data declarations, types, select statements, write statements, etc. Then start them off writing a simple program using the flight db. Selecting data and writing it out. At the end of all of this "in house" training, you will be able to see who is going to take it and run with it(meaning who is going to be able to figure all of this out on his own) and who is going to struggle and need to take these basic courses.

You can save a little money on those who are picking it up on there own. Of course they may not like not being able to go for training.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Reinforcing my thoughts exactly. I have often found training to be much more valuable subsequent to exposure to some of the material. My gut tells me that the newbies will be able to contribute to report development and some interfacing once I have developed the architecture/approach. My expectation is that they will be able to sustain post-implementation and then begin honing their skill set. Of course, management must understand this!

Pat