Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store data in a table which only one report can write in?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here is my scenario

A report which gathers data is going to run each day. It is going to select data where date_column of the table is bigger or equal to report_last_run_date.

So I want to store the report_last_run_date somwhere in the database. Can I store this as a system variable or do I have to create my own table just to store one date?

Problem

I dont want anyone else compromise security by having the chance to alter report_last_run_date field. Because imagine someone created a second report and did:

Update some_table

Set report_last_run_date = 1899

This would ruin the report which gathers data based on when it was last run.

So I want to make sure the field or system variable or whatever I can store the last_run_date i secure and can only be written to from the data gathering report. How do I solve this?

thanks!

Edited by: Baran Sölen on Jan 28, 2009 2:15 PM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi...wat u can do is...while creating the table provide an authorisation group to it...using Utilities->Assign authorisation group...

so only users in dat authorisation group will be able to edit the table entries

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi...wat u can do is...while creating the table provide an authorisation group to it...using Utilities->Assign authorisation group...

so only users in dat authorisation group will be able to edit the table entries

0 Kudos

This doesn't help against direct updates via program code. I don't know a way to prevent this.

In the end, a productive system must be setup so that no unwanted code can be installed and executed.

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

you can use table TVARV and do a select statement before any database actions.

thanks,

anupama.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I agree that it is not possible to prevent inadvertent or intentional changes to a ztable or a variable in TVARV.

One thing that might help would be to create the ztable with the 'log changes' flag set.

Then search the forum for change document on ztables. Then is someone changes your table you can find out who it was and then find out why.

Not perfect I know.

Regards

Greg Kern