Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC or BAPI to display on web

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

what it is the difference between RFC and BAPI???

i have to display STO details on web...So i need to write RFC or BAPI.. which is the best way to do it and why? Please someone help me to make a decision between RFC and BAPI...

thannx in advance ...

regards,

Maya.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maya,

If you know the BAPI that can satisfy and gives you all data that should be displayed then go with that . Otherwise create your own RFC.

In future if some more data is needed in that case you need to modify programs again. So I suggest , you create a RFC and then call BAPI inside it.

This will help you in future if you need more data which is not given by BAPI, you can add your own logic and it will work.

<b>Reward If Useful</b>

Vishwanath Purohit

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maya,

If you know the BAPI that can satisfy and gives you all data that should be displayed then go with that . Otherwise create your own RFC.

In future if some more data is needed in that case you need to modify programs again. So I suggest , you create a RFC and then call BAPI inside it.

This will help you in future if you need more data which is not given by BAPI, you can add your own logic and it will work.

<b>Reward If Useful</b>

Vishwanath Purohit

0 Kudos

Hi Maya

BAPI's are methods of Business Object implemented as RFC enabled Function Modules. while an RFC enabled Function Module is a Function Module that can be called from any other external system.

Regarding your requirement, if you need to implement only the standard functionality of a Business Object and a BAPI exists in the Business Object Repository for that particular BO then you can go for the BAPI. Otherwise creating a new RFC is better as suggested by Vishwanath

Hope my reply is useful

Regards

Ramya

0 Kudos

Thank u all..

there is no standard bapi for my requirement... so i will create a RFC..

regards,

Maya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Create BAPI. This would be the best method. As it is act like business wrapper. Also it is ultimetly RFC only.

Reward if useful!

Former Member
0 Kudos

BAPI stands for Business Application Programming Interface. It is a library of functions that are released to the public as an interface into an existing SAP system from an external system.

RFC is the protocol used to call functions in an R/3 system by a caller external to R/3 or to call programs external to R/3 from an R/3 system.

Functions can only be called via RFC, if they are tagged as RFC functions in the SAP development workbench. They are then called RFC function modules. BAPIs are complete sets of (BAPI) function modules that model a business application.

When you are familiar with web developments: RFC can be compared to HTTP and BAPIs are CGI applications.

In other words: A BAPI function is a function module that can be called remotely using the RFC technology.

regards

Giridhar