Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move local file to 2nd server and then place RFC call

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Ihave a typical scenario. It goes like this:

The user has an encrypted file on his local computer and is connected to Server A.

This file needs to be decrypted using a utility set up on a server (Server B) other than the one he is logged onto (Server A).

So, the file needs to be downloaded into a common working folder on Server B.

An RFC call is to be placed to execute the decryption utility on Server B.

The output of the program is to be redirected to a text file to check for error messages.

Once the file has been successfully decrypted, its contents need to be uploaded into an internal table for further processing in the transaction running on Server A.

My questions are as follows:

a) Is this scenario possible? Can a user place an RFC call to a program residing on another server without being logged onto it?

b) Is this process possible simply by using a Function Module? If yes, which one?

c) Can ALE help me in this scenario in any manner?

Your help is higly appreciated.

Regards,

Madhur

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont know , with how much ease you can do it in ABAP way, but thrugh XI, it can be done quite easily.

0 Kudos

Hi Anid,

Thanks for the reply. However, we do not have XI installed here so sadly, this possibility is not even an option.

Regards,

Madhur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhur,

It is possible.

1) In Server A, create a custom program to read the file into an internal table. In this program, then call FM ARCHIVFILE_CLIENT_TO_SERVER to save this file to an App Server. I presume the utility needs a file name rather than the file data.

2) Place an RFC call to the Server B's decryption utitity passing the App server file name. If it synchronous, it should return the error messages back to server A's custom program.

3) If the utility writes the decrypted data to a file, you can upload it in the custom program after the RFC call in A.

Cheers,

Bhanu