Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modularization Effectiveness

yashnath176
Explorer
0 Kudos

Is it really effective to use subroutine /macros or usage of function module and the class method is more effective?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello yashnath176

Refer to Obsolete Modularization elements in ABAP 7.54 which is the current version. It states that subroutines are obsolete. However given the heavy usage of subroutines in the SAP standard code, I'd say it's safe to use them if that suites your programming style.

I've not found any info on macros being obsolete. However I'd not use them as they are notoriously hard to debug.

Surely ABAP object oriented programming is in the fashion now. Still I'm hesitant to call it the most modern or appropriate. There are long going discussions in the programming world about object oriented vs procedural programming. In my mind both are tools, slightly different tools, with their own purpose.

Best regards

Dominik Tylczynski

3 REPLIES 3

former_member660513
Participant
0 Kudos

- Macros are pretty much forbidden(no go) nowadays(Netweaver after 7.02+).

- subroutines are not desired or recommended, but sometimes can not be avoided, this can be seen all around in the source code of EWM. Technical reasons can be integration/extension of logical of classical Dynpro Screens, "frameworks" such as the Whse Mon extensions, etc.

- same is also true for function modules and function-oriented ABAP programming, sometimes there is no way around it, ( custom logic in the RF Framework i.e. )

- object oriented programming is seen as the most modern/appropriate approach currently in ABAP

- maybe in the distant future the language development will go in direction functional programming ...

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
0 Kudos

Welcome and Thank you for visiting SAP Community to get answers to your questions. Please add more details to your question, e.g. you can also add a screenshot. With that, you can reach a broader range of experts to get your question answered. I also recommend to do this tutorial https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/community-qa.html

The more details you provide, the more likely it is that members will be able to assist you.

Please also check if you have chosen the correct tags. For this question, I have removed the EWM tag.

Finally, if you're hoping to connect with readers, please consider adding a picture to your profile. Here's how you do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JdUbyjfMA&list=PLpQebylHrdh5s3gwy-h6RtymfDpoz3vDS. By personalizing your profile with a photo of you, you encourage readers to respond.

Regards, Svea

SAP Community Global Moderator

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello yashnath176

Refer to Obsolete Modularization elements in ABAP 7.54 which is the current version. It states that subroutines are obsolete. However given the heavy usage of subroutines in the SAP standard code, I'd say it's safe to use them if that suites your programming style.

I've not found any info on macros being obsolete. However I'd not use them as they are notoriously hard to debug.

Surely ABAP object oriented programming is in the fashion now. Still I'm hesitant to call it the most modern or appropriate. There are long going discussions in the programming world about object oriented vs procedural programming. In my mind both are tools, slightly different tools, with their own purpose.

Best regards

Dominik Tylczynski