Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing interest in ABAP/General

rainer_hbenthal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Who's feeling like i'm feeling? I'm loosing interest in ABAP/General because

- a lot of silly questions (how do i get yyyy/mm/dd from dd.mm.yyyy, how to create a csv file, how to write to presentation server in background etcetc)

- 90% are requirements (dont we all have requirments?)

- instead of finding a solution by own just asking

and the most thing which depresses me that there are more and more people where i have the impression that they are not only new to abap but to programming in general.

Really good and intersting things are hard to find. Am i wrong?

14 REPLIES 14

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Loosing interest in ABAP/General

Yep thatu2019s True to some extant. I would love to see the alteration in General forums to avoid general questions since you have already explicit precise forums for other areas in ABAP.

Cheers

0 Kudos

You mean RFC/ALE Questions in ABAP/GENERAL or having mainly ALV question in the oops section?

Maybe ABAP/General should be renamend. General does not meand that every question can pe asked there.

0 Kudos
having mainly ALV question in the oops section?

Yes.

At smallest amount of changes, we may define the scope of General forums by restricting the nature of questions in General forum.

May be ABAP objects forum can be renamed to ABAP reports ? As a result no matters whether report is ALV FM or ALV OOPS ,all should post in ABAP Report forums.For that reason you can take-away all questions which flooded daily every second in ABAP General like (selection-screen problem, events, loop at screen, ALV cell color, OOPS Edit ALV blah blah).

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is exactly why many mods and people who use the abuse reports try to delete rubbish (particularly repeat offenders) as soon as possible and contribute to interesting threads.

I also try to add a little joke from time to time and light a ponits-gaming flamewar for some action, but the latter have become a rare visitor to track down now-a-days.

I find this much easier to do in lower volume forums where I spend more time and read each post in detail (such as Security) than "autobahns" (like ABAP General where this would be virtually impossible) but both are a challenge and "brainfarts" happen in both. In Security I can sometimes even see them coming, after looking at a bloated questions..

I still think a "Did not read the documentation" forum is what is needed. Simply by moving the thread there, it will be an answer in itself...

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Aug 27, 2009 12:39 PM

0 Kudos

>

> I still think a "Did not read the documentation" forum is what is needed. Simply by moving the thread there, it will be an answer in itself...

- and count the masses on whom such subtlety is totally lost ...

- moving them would require moderator action, thus: time ... i thought there wasn't enough of that already

- would the 'i have no idea what i'm talking about' and the 'doesn't even meet the question' - answers also go to that forum? or only the questions?

0 Kudos

> - and count the masses on whom such subtlety is totally lost ...

I don't think it is subtle. The move also sends a mail informing the OP.

> - moving them would require moderator action, thus: time ... i thought there wasn't enough of that already

My suggestion was to extend this beyond the forum moderators.

> - would the 'i have no idea what i'm talking about' and the 'doesn't even meet the question' - answers also go to that forum? or only the questions?

As there is a strong connection between these two, moving the question should tag most of such answers along with it.

Perhaps not perfect... but still a whole lot better if you ask me.

Cheers and thanks for all the Abuse Reports today. Have been busy since early chasing them down

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> Cheers and thanks for all the Abuse Reports today. Have been busy since early chasing them down

want me to stop?

0 Kudos

No, not at all. Only want the problem to go away.

Thanks for adding the link to the thread as well - this is much easier to navigate back to the whole thread and the user.

Cheers,

Julius

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How could you lose interest when you have fascinating conversations like this one:

( Don't worry, I'm going to delete it in due course )

Former Member
0 Kudos

enjoy the ponits, though

0 Kudos

>

> How could you lose interest when you have fascinating conversations like this one:

>

> ( Don't worry, I'm going to delete it in due course )

LOL... See I got the screen shots done

Ok back to the topic... Cant we have a "hangman" countdown on each userid. 10 thread deletions/locking => guestification!

pk

0 Kudos

>

> Cant we have a "hangman" countdown on each userid. 10 thread deletions/locking => guestification!

I'm bit Afraid.

As frequent as Forum cache problem take place then may be hundreds of Innocent user-id will get suffer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

I agree with Amit.......

cheers

shalsa007.........

0 Kudos

>

> How could you lose interest when you have fascinating conversations like this one:

>

> ( Don't worry, I'm going to delete it in due course )

Funny things can be read in the coffee corner