Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to compare two flat files residing in application server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am wondering is there any exisiting code (function, include, program) that could be used to compare the difference between 2 flat files and show the differennce in the end as a report. Thanks!

Regards,

Anyi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anyi - here is an alternative to coding an ABAP program - there is a tool called Compare It that I have used. It can compare fairly large files quickly (>10MB) and the latest version has reporting. It runs on a PC so the user running it will need access to the app server in order to run the comparison. You will have to check the website for pricing but I think it is cheap: http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp.htm

Andy

2 REPLIES 2

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anyi,

The fastest file compare is definitely at the operating system level. However, you need to have some shell scripting experience to write such a program. Once you have the shell ready, you can execute it inside an ABAP program as an external command (defined in SM69)with 'SXPG_EXECUTE_COMMAND' function.

Another option is using "open dataset in text mode" to load file into an internal table and then comparing it with .

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Ferry Lianto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anyi - here is an alternative to coding an ABAP program - there is a tool called Compare It that I have used. It can compare fairly large files quickly (>10MB) and the latest version has reporting. It runs on a PC so the user running it will need access to the app server in order to run the comparison. You will have to check the website for pricing but I think it is cheap: http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp.htm

Andy