Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDOCs to send Employee Data

Bhaskar_Tripath
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

In my current project, I have lots of interfaces to send employee data to third party. Now the interface team has decided to use IDOCs to transfer employee data. Employee data is of the order of 20,000 and many interface will be scheduled to run daily. So here are my questions:

1. Earlier decided approach was to use file interface. Is IDOC better in this case?

2. Over and above this, they want to generate 1 IDOC per employee data (if the interface has to run every business day, then ~5 Million IDOCs per year and this is just for one interface). Do you think this is the right approach?

Appreciate you responce.

Cheers,

Bhaskar

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhaskar,

My humble thoughts on the questions you have asked,

1. Earlier decided approach was to use file interface. Is IDOC better in this case?

Well, the first questions is does this third party application have an SAP connector to transact IDOCs or do you have a middleware in between? Now, if you dont have a middleware/third party application doesn't support IDOC Communication, then you will have to look at file interface(or other possible means)

Anyways assuming that an IDOC communication is indeed possible between the two systems with/without a middleware in between, the advantages of IDOC over file interface is many

1) IDOCs use transactional RFC (which is asynchronous in nature , but i guess you know this already), which assures QOS EO - Exactly Once.

2) IDOCs provides superior monitoring, audit and reconciliation capabilities, which you would have to code for yourself in File interface.

3) IDOCs - More structured and organized programming, hence easy to maintain over time.

4) Standard IDOCs are available which can deployed immediately by doing some configurations, and any custom requirement can be coded in using customer enhancements.

2. Over and above this, they want to generate 1 IDOC per employee data (if the interface has to run every business day, then ~5 Million IDOCs per year and this is just for one interface). Do you think this is the right approach?

You can definitely use IDOC archiving, and also i guess in real time scenario, you would want to send the delta changes w.r.t the data of an employee and not send the complete master data on a daily basis.

All said, if this is a one time run/an interface which might be scrapped in near future, with no need of advanced monitoring and audit capabilities you might still want to go with File interface, i am sure you will get more informative replies from experts on this forum, so keep watching the thread

Regards,

Chen

0 Kudos

Hi Chen,

Thanks for your nicely compiled answer!!!

Yes we do have middleware (SAP XI).

Though I am still worried about 5 million figure for each interface!!!

Many Thanks Again,

Bhaskar

0 Kudos

Hi Bhaskar,

May be you can throw more light on the below statements,

In my current project, I have lots of interfaces to send employee data to third party.

Though I am still worried about 5 million figure for each interface!!!

Do you mean to say you have multiple interfaces to send the employee data, if so, could you provide more information like why do you have multiple interfaces, is it because different interfaces carry different subset of employee data or the data is same(more or less) but to different third party application and systems.

In either of the above scenarios, this might be a good chance to try and consolidate interfaces, for ex:

1) Send master extract (complete data) of employee to XI/PI, and build a custom broker/agent in XI/PI which will map this data into different subsets as per individual needs of various system/third applications.

2) If it is the same data to different systems/third party applications, then you could configure multiple outbound channels for the interface within XI/PI.

Either ways, this should reduce the no of interfaces between SAP and XI/PI and hence reduce the overall volume of data.

Regards,

Chen

Edited by: Chen K V on Apr 25, 2011 11:10 PM

0 Kudos

Hi Chen,

I am convinced about using IDOCs now

Thanks for all your responces,

Bhaskar