Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to learn ABAP OO best practices

TMNielsen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm familiar with ABAP OO in a way that I can use it when I need to, but when possible I prefer to use classic ABAP.

In classic ABAP I don't have to think much before I program a solution, because I simply know like the back of my hand what is best practices and what will do as a quick-and-dirty.

Can you suggest any resources, tutorials, blogs, articles etc. that will bring me closer to a similar level of knowledge about ABAP OO.

Best regards

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ,

you can also go for this books " Object-Oriented Programming with ABAP Objects ".... it,s SAP press book & BCABA for ABAP OO best practice it's available on SAP site, basis concepts & Sample examples are good........

Regards

Gaurav

23 REPLIES 23

naimesh_patel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm familiar with ABAP OO in a way that I can use it when I need to, but when possible I prefer to use classic ABAP.

In classic ABAP I don't have to think much before I program a solution, because I simply know like the back of my hand what is best practices and what will do as a quick-and-dirty.

First of all, you need to break this barrier and come of the Classic ABAP. Always, try to think in OO ABAP. It uses the similar everyday principle: "If you think in the same language which you want to speak would be faster than the Thinking in the native language and translating in Speaking language".

While designing with OO, we should think of the Design Patterns and Design Principles which could be applied to the design. You can find some of the design principles & design patterns in WIKI http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAP/ABAP+Objects

Regards,

Naimesh Patel

0 Kudos

Hi Naimesh Patel

Thanks for your input. Good point about the thinking/speaking language.

Best regards

Thomas

0 Kudos

Thanks Naimesh

Good one

Regards,

Gaurav Patwari

0 Kudos

Hi..

It was really nice way to adopt the OO concepts of ABAP.

I will to try it....

Thank you Very much

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent SAP Press manual just released a couple of months ago....Office ABAP Programming Guidelines by Dr. Keller and Dr. Thummel. Current SAP view on how to write OO...including separation of concerns, software layering, and an excellent section on obsolete constructs (such as FORM...ENDFORM!).

I've only been doing Classic ABAP 11 years, but I find that it still pays to think about the code that I'm writing....If I do a good job at that, it will: run fast, be accurate, be maintainable, and not be embarassing to me when next guy comes to visit my cube and ask why I did something in particular...:-}

0 Kudos

Hi Dave

Thanks for your input.

I found the book "Official ABAP Programming Guidelines" and will try it.

Best regards

Thomas

Edited by: Thomas M. Nielsen on Feb 17, 2010 8:40 AM

0 Kudos

Hi thomas ,

can you please tell how you get 'Official ABAP Programming guidelines ' book ? it it e-book ?

please reply for same. i also want same book.

Thank you ,

0 Kudos

Try to google

Sap Press ISBN 978-1-59229-290-5

Costs: US$ 69,95

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ,

you can also go for this books " Object-Oriented Programming with ABAP Objects ".... it,s SAP press book & BCABA for ABAP OO best practice it's available on SAP site, basis concepts & Sample examples are good........

Regards

Gaurav

0 Kudos

Hi

I don't think "Object-Oriented Programming with ABAP Objects" is very convincing when it comes to why OO is better than what I do today.

Actually that's what I usually think when I read ABAP OO documents. For example Thomas Jungs very good online ABAP OO tutorial. I think it gives a good idea how the OO basics are implemented in ABAP, but part 3 about persistant object and part 4 about mixing OO with classic dynpro programming, both makes me think that this is interesting, and sometimes even useful, but in 9 out of 10 scenarios not useful.

I don't know "BCABA for ABAP OO best practice" - where can I find this document?

Best regards

Thomas

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This thread is a FAQ - but a very important one... so I'll make it a sticky thread all of itself..

I tried to learn ABAP OO, and even after the training course , couldn't get on with it. I think that's because ABAP Objects is not really helpful for learning OO techniques. It's rather clunky! So what I did was load an Eclipse distro. onto my PC, and go through "Head First Java" from the O'Reilly Press to learn OO techniques via Java. Then apply what I'd learned to ABAP Objects.

By doing this I learned Java and Eclipse (which is what the SAP Development Studio is based on) - both useful skills to have - and now I program 99% of the time via Objects.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I completely agree with Short Dump - Horst Keller is the best in reference to ABAP Objects.

Edited by: Evgueny Fedoseev on Apr 20, 2010 10:09 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is also a book by Rich Heilman and Thomas Jung Next Generation ABAP development(SAP PRESS), this could be helpful

0 Kudos

Hi again

Today I use ABAP OO much more, than when I started this thread 8 month ago.

My experience is that books doesn't do the trick.

I simply decided to take the necessary time to develop a new system with a couple of dynpro transactions and a couple of ALV reports. Totally ABAP OO based. And every time I was unsure about best practices, I consulted the book "Official ABAP Programming Guidelines".

So my advice is LEARN BY DOING.

I think that is also the conclusion on Mats post, even though I feel that learning java is an unnecessary extreme exaggeration. =0).

tHX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

"Official ABAP Programming Guidelines" is a good book.

0 Kudos

HI,

Can u provide tat pdf file which one is u mentioned..

It wil helpful for me

Advance thanks

Thanks,

Ragavendran K.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before Learning the OOABAP you have to clear your Basic Conception on OOPS...There are some advance topics in OOABAP like Event Handling,Casting,Exception Handling etc..

In real time scenarios most of the cases we use Global class rather than local class.So Glabal Classes Interfaces concept is essential..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ABAP OO only show it power when the application is design in OO concept. My opinion is, start the development from UML, Classes Diagram, Interactive diagram, etc.. Design the application with OO concept... then we can see the power of inheritance, reusability, interface... etc..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Try this link..........good tutorial from Thomas Jung.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/15408

best regards,

Anup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

The following Link gives good idea regarding ABAP OBJECTS.

http://help-abap.zevolving.com/category/abapobjects

Warm Regards,

PavanKumar.G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Once go through this link u will get an idea on ooabap

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAP/ABAPOBJECTS-STEP-BY-STEPGUIDE

0 Kudos

I personally prefer bc404 available in sap portal( if u r in sap) . its training material for abap objects for beginners.