Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRC AC5.3 & RTA Post Support Package Activites

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have GRC AC 5.3 SP4 landscape connecting to ERP 2005 and ERP2004 backend systems. This setup was built around 6 months back - and we had done all the configuration in GRC as well as backend systems (Activated BC /VIRSA/VIRSANH_530_700, Run Report /VIRSA/ZVFAT_NOTIF_FILL and created User Exit for FF as per SAP Note 1133167 for VIRSANH).

Now after updating RTA with latest support package - do we need to follow/repeat these steps again or is there any post support package deployment activity for RTA's on backend systems.

Thanks

Davinderpal Singh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Singh,

Usually, there is no post deployment activities for RTA. You can check the link for the OSS note when you download particular SP. All Most all of the post installation activities are for Java or front-end side.

Regards,

Alpesh

15 REPLIES 15

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Singh,

Usually, there is no post deployment activities for RTA. You can check the link for the OSS note when you download particular SP. All Most all of the post installation activities are for Java or front-end side.

Regards,

Alpesh

0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the information.

Can you please confirm - do we need to follow post installation in front end every time after support package installation. And what is the procedure for this.

Lets say, i am updating my running GRC AC 5.3 SP4 (which is already configured and covered all post installation steps in front end as well as backend RTA post installation steps) to SP6 --> do i need to upload the initial files supplied with SP6 (VIRACCNTNT06_2-10006688.SAR) in the CUP and ERM through configuration-> Initial System data.

Thanks

Davinder

0 Kudos

Hi Davinder,

You don't need to do all the activities but most of the time you will have to upload initial data files. Every Java installation contains a read me file. If the read me file says you need to upload these files then you should.

These files will contain latest configuration parameters, error and success messages.

Regards,

Alpesh

0 Kudos

Hello Alpesh,

Appreciate your prompt response. Please bear with me for such a lenghty message, but i am totally confused with GRC support package approach - may be because i dont know what these .xml files contains and what will be the effect if we import these after each support package application.

After extracting VIRACCNTNT06_2-10006688.SAR, i got 4 different folders (ACROLES, VIRAE, VIRCC, VIRRE).

1. ACROLES folder contains -> 3 role files -> ae_ume_roles.txt, cc_ume_roles.txt and re_ume_roles.txt.

Do i need to import all of these 3 role files again after every support pack installation?

2. VIRAE folder contains -> 4 xml files (AE_init_append_data.xml, AE_init_append_data_ForRE.xml, AE_init_append_data_ForSODUARReview.xml and AE_init_clean_and_insert_data.xml) and reame.txt file.

Do i need to follow as mentioned in readme.txt file - if yes then whatever configuration we had (from last time when we imported initial data files supplied with SP4) will be overwritten? Please confirm.

3. VIRCC folder contains -> AE_init_append_data_CC.xml, CC5.3_MESSAGES.txt and few extra files.

As per readme.txt file , i need to import Error Messages (CC5.3_MESSAGES.txt) - please confirm.

4. VIRRE folder contains -> As per Readme.txt i need to import 4 different .xml files available under this folder.

Doing so will erase existing intial data from my GRC system?

Thanks

Davinderpal Singh

0 Kudos

Sorry, Davinder. Even though I know what these files contain, I won't be able to explain that to you. That will be a very long message. Instead, you can open a message with SAP support and they can surely guide you in more detail.

PLEASE FOLLOW THE READ ME FILE AND YOU WON'T HAVE ANY ISSUES.

Regards,

Alpesh

0 Kudos

Hello Alpesh,

Thanks for your help. Infact i have raised SAP OSS message but till now haven't received any proper reply till now.

My only concern is, what if by importing these xml files - existing data orcontent will be erased. Becuase first file you need to import with option - " clean and insert" both for RE and AE.

Can you please provide me details of what these files are n what's the impact - its very important for me.

Best Regards

Davinder

Edited by: D P Singh on Mar 12, 2009 6:47 PM

Edited by: D P Singh on Mar 12, 2009 6:48 PM

0 Kudos

Hello Davinder,

Well NO need to redo Post Installation steps even in JAVA support pack.

Only thing is you should take backup of your data before apply SPs.

If you reload these files, you will reach initial state from where you started earliar.

Just apply SPs and check if everything is fine.

DoNOT upload any of these files.

Regards,

Surpreet Singh Bal

0 Kudos

Thanks Surpreet,

Even i have the same feeling but SAP support and Alpesh is pointing towards uploading these initial .xml files even after support packages deployment.

Now i am totally confused and just waiting that some of my friend will explain what these files contains, and why we need to erase the inital configuration and upload the new supplied with new support package.

Thanks

Davinder

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Surpreet,

sorry, but this is not correct. If you do that, you will most likely run into problems.

The "initial XML files" are just badly named. Applying them will not overwrite your existing configuration. They contain configuration data and small fixes to messages.

For example, from 5.3 SP05, they are required to bring in the new functionality enhancements described in the SP05 documentation.

Same is true for the UME roles - if you don't import them, you simply may not even see some menu items in the newer versions.

So, here's how I'm doing it:

- deploy SCAs

- import UME roles

- import initial XML files

- check configuration changes

- check rule set changes

Frank.

0 Kudos

Hello Frank,

Thanks for your inputs.

SAP support has suggested me to do the following steps for GRC AC 5.3 patching --> you have mentioned one extra step "IMPORT UME ROLES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Undeploy existing GRC applications except DB n Dictionary files using SDM.

2. Deploy new GRC SCAs using JSPM.

3. CC - Import CC error text messages.

4. CUP -

a. Click on Upgrade button.

b. Import the .xml files provided with new support package:

AE_init_clean_and_insert_data.xml -- Clean and Insert

AE_init_append_data.xml -- Append

AE_init_append_data_ForSODUARReview.xml -- Append

AE_init_append_data_CC.xml -- Append

AE_init_append_data_RE.xml -- Append

5. ERM - Import the .xml files

RE_init_clean_insert_data.xml - Append

RE_init_append_data.xml - Append

RE_init_methodology_data.xml - Append

Would appreciate if you can confirm the following:

1. Will every support package contains modifications in the UME roles? And is there any way to compare the existing roles with new roles supplied with support package?

2. After importing ume roles, do we need to do any extra step for users to whom these roles have been assigned?

3. How can we do

"check configuration changes" and "check rule set changes"

4. Last most important, is there any document which tells what changes each of the file has and what all steps needs to be executed for GRC patching ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Davinder

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Davinder,

1. not every SP will, but you should check when in doubt (just compare the .txt files)

2. not if you have assigned them as-is before

3. check your configuration tabs and the release notes for new parameters.

Rule set changes are described in Note 1173980

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1173980

4. Look to the how-to guides in the wiki: https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BPX/Governance%2CRisk%2CandCompliance%28GRC%29How-ToGuides

Hope that helps,

Frank.

0 Kudos

Davinder,

Just a comment, that I'm glad you captured these questions on the forum. I and probably many other GRC admins had these exact same questions (I agree completely that "initial XML files" are badly named). Obviously there was even a diff of opinion amongst the experts. If there's this many questions around the process, then I think is means it is a process that could use some improvement. Hopefully SAP has noted this chronic issue and has plans to address, so we can focus on other aspects of the implementations. Okay, thanks for the therapy!

hb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Davinderpal,

After applying support pack of RTA, usually there are no post installation step.

However it is best to search SAP note with support pack file name. Sometime they do correct the roles or some other value. Since you are using Firefighter in ABAP, it is very important for you to check the same.

One issue i remember was that Auth Group for Firefighter tables were missing and BC set was created and send with new SPs.

Hence please find the relevant SAP note.

Regards,

Surpreet

hkaur
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Davinder,

As stated by Alpesh, at times these Intial system data files have some fixes for the incorrect error messages or some configuration parameters.

That is the basic reason that these Initial files are provided with each support pack.So if the read me file says that you should be uploading these Initial files then you should do it. It will not result in any data loss .

You don't need to upload all the files in Clean and Insert mode; so please follow configuration guide for instructions on the sequence or mode of uploading these files.

Now for configurations, there is no need to redo all the configurations. You may export most of your configurations to files and then import them later to the new support package installation.

Regards

Harleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all of you for your valuable time and sharing your experiences...