Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate javadoc-style documentation of SAP repository objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'd like to promote and get some feedback on a new project I have set up at http://code.google.com/p/apap/ . It's purpose is to generate a javadoc-style documentation of SAP repository objects. It consists of a report to download the repository objects as an XML file and a set of XSLT stylesheets to create HTML files from the XML.

I'd like to get some feedback on

- whether this project was a good idea

- whether a similar thing already exists

- what could be improved

- how collaboration can be set up to improve the project on a regular basis.

Best regards,

Björn

9 REPLIES 9

uwe_schieferstein
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Björn

To me it looks just

brilliant

!

I cannot tell whether something else is already around (I do not believe) but I would appreciate to read an article / Weblog about your project on the

front-page of the SDN

Regards

Uwe

0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for the comment.

I actually applied to become a blogger a few days ago because I already had a weblog about the project in mind.

Björn

0 Kudos

I love you,

I love you,

I love you.

This is exactly what I have been looking for.

I will be posting you with any ideas I might have and bugs I find (if any).

Regards,

Eiríkur

0 Kudos

Thanks again.

I put a new version on the project website where the report is not restricted to main packages anymore (and a few other improvements).

0 Kudos

Thanks for the great work. One improvement I was thinking is use of Call transformation with XSLT in SAP instead of writing the tags in ABAP. Also we can have the stylesheet in SAP to output HTML. May be we can combine these two together.

If you need any help, please let me know. I am willing to contribute my time.

Thanks,

Suman

0 Kudos

Hello Suman,

could you explain me the idea of generating the tags through CALL TRANSFORMATION a bit? As I understood you already need to have a single information source as input for CALL TRANSFORMATION, so you still need the report ZAPAP to generate such a single source from the ddic objects..

In general, I preferred the solution to process the XML document to its destination format outside of SAP because then you are independent of the SAP release and its abilities. In my company, we have a lot of customers with SAP4.6C releases, where CALL TRANSFORMATION is not available. However, it would be easy to downport ZAPAP, because it only consists of two or three incompatibilities to 4.6C. Our consultants may then use it for any customer project, while applying a modern JDK+XSLT processor on a local machine.

As I understood from the documentation, CALL TRANSFORMATION is also limited regarding the destination formats - only an ABAP program or XML. What if I want to create a set of XSLT stylesheets which generates Postscript format? That is another reason why I preferred (and still do) to keep the XSLT outside of SAP.

What do you think about this?

Björn

0 Kudos

> I love you,

> I love you,

> I love you.

>

> This is exactly what I have been looking for.

>

> I will be posting you with any ideas I might have and bugs I find (if any).

>

> Regards,

> Eiríkur

I'm in total agreement. This is brilliant. Why didn't I think of it

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have added the whole thing in the Code Gallery , so please post any future comments there.

Thanks,

Björn

Former Member
0 Kudos

great work,

i started to build up a system myself...till i found this.

But i still have troubles to get it up and running.

does is work with 4.6c ?

chris