Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

What is the Definition of Function module?

when/why/where its used. what are the adv/disadvantages.

I have gone thru help.

any doc pls send to my id sap4bw@rediffmail.com

Regards

Sajeed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amit_khare
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You went through help but thats the best available document on anything in SAP.

Regards,

Amit

10 REPLIES 10

amit_khare
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You went through help but thats the best available document on anything in SAP.

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

good

Function modules are procedures that are defined in special ABAP programs only, so-called function groups, but can be called from all ABAP programs. Function groups act as containers for function modules that logically belong together. You create function groups and function modules in the ABAP Workbench using the Function Builder.

Function modules allow you to encapsulate and reuse global functions in the SAP System. They are managed in a central function library. The SAP System contains several predefined functions modules that can be called from any ABAP program. Function modules also play an important role during updating and in interaction between different SAP systems, or between SAP systems and remote systems through remote communications.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/9f/db988735c111d1829f0000e829fbfe/content.htm

thanks

mrutyun^

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sajeed,

check the below links

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/ef/d94b78ebf811d295b100a0c94260a5/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/43/41341147041806e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

If you need further info shoot me a test mail to callnaveen@gmail.com, I will send you one ppt file

~~Guduri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

Thanks,

Can anyone explain my questions briefly.

Regards,

Sajeed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sajeed...

I think details of FM u will get in documentation...

Here are Advantages of FM in a Practicle world.

1. FM is mainly used for modularization...

2. It's easy to reuse code using FM.

3. SAP has provided many standard FM which u can use in u r Z program to write an application... Like FM to get the Invoice details, Date and Time Conversion FM etc.

4. FM can work as and RFC enabled FM to communicate between two systems.

Sajeed I can put more efforts to help you and write in details... In return u know what we expect .... Ya give points and write if u need any further help on any SAP topics.

Cheers

DARSHAN

Former Member
0 Kudos

FM makes the coding easier instead of using select statements and moreover they can reused again and again

Former Member
0 Kudos

sent the document to you

if you find it useful mark the points

~~Guduri

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have given the points.

Naveen: The doc doesn't give much info.

the doubts are not yet cleared. can anyone be more precise.

Regards

Sajeed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sajeed,

1.FM is one of the <b>modularization technics</b> we can say.

2.Its has its own purpose and can be used when requred.

3.Once the FM is created and error free can be used without checking it again for errors.

4<b>.Reusability of code</b> will be there.

5. You can <b>test it alone</b> and can ensure that, whether it meets our criteria.

6.Can have RFC for remote communication.

7.Available in central library for use it when it required.

Hope I might have added atleast one new point.

Regards,

Sujatha.