Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Field Exit Does Not Work

Former Member
0 Kudos

I created a field exit. Put code in function module. To check if it works or not, I put a message in the function module to display message when field is populated or left blank. The message does not display. My field exit does not work. Any help is appreciated .

Jen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you put a break point in the FM to see if it's actually going into the code?

Rob

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you put a break point in the FM to see if it's actually going into the code?

Rob

0 Kudos

Field exit cannot be debugged.

former_member186741
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Field exits are very tricky.

Have you activated the exit and assigned it to the screen you are trying to use?

Are you sure the field name is correct? I think you have to use the data element name rather than the field name.

To simulate debugging you can create a z table and insert records to it and then browse it elsewhere. The structure can be something like date/time/userid/counter as key fields and then any other data you are interested in.

0 Kudos

Yes the data element name is correct and so is the screen name. Both the function module and the field exit are activated. To ensure it is working, instead of writng the data to a table , I wrote a code to display a message. Nothing happens when I go to the transaction and hit enter or click save. (This field is a check box)

former_member181966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I remember the in field exit, you have to add up Fm with Field and then activate it .After that you’ll be able to see the effect . i did it 4 years before for production order(CO02) field ( empst). Field exit are not recommended. Any way I don’t remember the exact steps , what I had performed.

Check it out :

http://www.sap-img.com/abap/field-exits-smod-cmod-questions-and-answers.htm

http://www.sapgenie.com/abap/fieldexits.htm

Pl award points if it helps you

Thanks

Message was edited by: Saquib Khan

0 Kudos

This article mentions "set profile parameter abap/fieldexit to YES" . How do I do this ?

0 Kudos

T-code : RZ10 or RZ11

You can set up in RZ 11 :abap/fieldexit ..

But its Basis responsibility ,be sure before setting any parameters.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Saquib Khan

former_member186741
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

a limitation of field exits is that they have to refer to dictionary elements - if the field is an internal data variable rather than a table or structure field you cannot use them.

0 Kudos

Neil, Saquib, Rob,

I could not make this field exit work. However I found a user exit that will do what I need to do. Thanks for your help very much. I have awarded points to all of you.

Jen