Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors in BDC and LSMW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

While transforming the data from the legacy to sap system using BDC or LSMW.

Generally what r the errors we face while performing the process.

POINTS WILL B ASSIGNED

Thanks and regards

KK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Error in LSMW getting return code 6 , after asign a file , in the read data step i am getting the error .

I got an error while converting data in LSMW as

'For type "C" , a maximum length specification of 65535 is allowed'.

bdc:

BDC errors are similar to what you get in online transaction. Suppose you enter an invalid material number in online ME21N ( create Po ) system will throw an error and you have to correct it by chnaging a valid material number . Same error you can get in BDC as well. It is very difficult to generalize types of error as errors will depend on the transacation you are doing.

However some of the common BDC errors are ( Data for Screen Not Found, Field Not available in Screen ). These again are transaction specific and you have to analyze it by calling the transacion in display ALL mode.

The errors you get depends upon the transaction you are

running.

PLS:AWARD POINTS IF USEFUL.

SRI

6 REPLIES 6

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) Formatting errors: The legacy data may not be exactly in the same format as the SAP system.

2) Application errors: Errors that occur at the time of the actual upload through the transaction.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi

Thanks for the reponse. Will u plz give a example r type of Errors we face while performing the process.

Thanks and regards

KK

0 Kudos

Ok,

Let us assume that you are creating a Purchase order using a call transaction method to the transaction ME21.

In one of the many records in the file, there may be a record for which the material number is empty. BUt the transaction to be succesful, the material number is mandatory. In such cases, the call transaction will be failed.

Similarly, you may do a transaction which tries to move a certain quantity of a material from a plant A t plant B. But that quantity s not there in that plant A. In such case, the transaction will be failed.

In short, it will result in errors in any case that you would normally encounter while you do it manually.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the reply . I had allot points to u. will u specifically mentions the Error names we face .

Thanks and Regards

KK

0 Kudos

hi KK

Check the below link may be useful for you

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Error in LSMW getting return code 6 , after asign a file , in the read data step i am getting the error .

I got an error while converting data in LSMW as

'For type "C" , a maximum length specification of 65535 is allowed'.

bdc:

BDC errors are similar to what you get in online transaction. Suppose you enter an invalid material number in online ME21N ( create Po ) system will throw an error and you have to correct it by chnaging a valid material number . Same error you can get in BDC as well. It is very difficult to generalize types of error as errors will depend on the transacation you are doing.

However some of the common BDC errors are ( Data for Screen Not Found, Field Not available in Screen ). These again are transaction specific and you have to analyze it by calling the transacion in display ALL mode.

The errors you get depends upon the transaction you are

running.

PLS:AWARD POINTS IF USEFUL.

SRI