Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error--- types

Former Member
0 Kudos

PLs, anyone tell me what is the difference between :-

Syntax Error , Runtime Error & Short Dump

6 REPLIES 6

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Syntax Errors are ones that you get when trying to activate your program in SE38 or SE80. These errors are fired by the editor. Runtime errors raise at runtime, meaning when you run the program, for example, you may be trying to divide by 0, which of course isn't allowed, hence you will get an ABAP runtime error short dump, which is a lengthy report showing the error and a bunch of other information. Dumps can also be seen from ST22.

REgards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well a Sytax-error is an error in your Syntax means somehow you didnt use the Language ABAP with the correct grammar. When having systax errors the code will NOT work and NOT run.

an Runtime error is an error which occurs during runtime. e.G. if your integer variable runs out of memory, means it get bigger than it can be stored.

a Short dump is beeing processed after a runtime error OR with a message type X.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Syntax error means while writing the code if code contains any mistakes we might get Sytax errors.

Runtime Error & Short Dump means the Code would be syntatically correct but due to some Master data or any datas, unconvertable data type, passing wrong values to FM, etc..........

This is the Basic difference which I know.

if helps award points this is my first post.

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>Sytax error</b> - this will occur when u do a check in the program.

<b>Runtime error</b> - This will occur when u execute the program, thi siwll end up in Short dump.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/cf/f2bbce142c11d3b93a0000e8353423/content.htm

To see the description u have to got ST22 transaction.

Former Member
0 Kudos

did everybody received the points pls answer

0 Kudos

Yes received, if ur quey is anawred please mark the thread as closed.