Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDI file download

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, When I am saving a inbound file on server after making some changes it is showing me file size as 58KB. When i am downloading the file using transaction "CG3Y" onto c:\temp\file.txt it is showing me size 21KB. Why is this happening ? can't CG3Y download full file. please help me

4 REPLIES 4

uwe_schieferstein
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

You should consider that the file is located on two different operation system:

- OS like Windows Server, Linux, Unix, or AS400 -> file on application server

- PC like Windows XP/Vista, Linux/Unix Workstation

The difference might be simply due to the different ways of storing the same file in different environments. I have used transaction CG3Y frequently and had never any problems.

Regards

Uwe

0 Kudos

What is the difference between ASC and BIN transfer format?

0 Kudos

does these effect the download file size ?

0 Kudos

Hello

<b>ASC </b>means download/upload in <b>text </b>format where as <b>BIN </b>means <b>binary </b>format.

For example, if you download transport request files it only makes sense to use BIN format otherwise the files will be corrupt.

I am not sure if and how the format affects file size. However, you can use a simple test:

- create a text file on your local PC (e.g. 20K large) and upload it once in ASC and once in BIN format (transaction <b>CG3Z</b>).

Regards

Uwe