Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document attachement functionality in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

What are the options for document attachement with SAP?

The requirment is that we have a custom program which is being used to enter quotation for BOM material.

The user needs to attach the supporting word and excel document along with each quotations. In A day the users will enter atleast a 10 to 15 quotations and each quotation will have a attached document.

Questions:

>> What is the best way to attach a document to each quotation?

>> Is it a good idea to store the attached document as a RAW format in custom tables? The files are huge.

>> Since the files are going to be huge say about 2MB to 5MB where else we can store them?

>> Is storing at application server a good option. taking into account that the users would like to view the documents quite often.

>> The attached document should be visible along with the quotation when it is attached.

Regards

VJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is not much functionality included in standard SAP for supporting attachments for transactions. We need to implement a document repository server or use third party utilities like Open Text (Previously IXOS) which will help attaching documents to SAP from user desktop and archive the documents in a seperate server.

11 REPLIES 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is not much functionality included in standard SAP for supporting attachments for transactions. We need to implement a document repository server or use third party utilities like Open Text (Previously IXOS) which will help attaching documents to SAP from user desktop and archive the documents in a seperate server.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it possible to us GOS to attach documents at data level. I mean is it possible to attach document for each quotation which is being created using the custom screen.

Cheers

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijayendra,

Please take a look at these..

/people/rammanohar.tiwari/blog/2005/10/10/generic-object-services-gos--in-background

/people/rammanohar.tiwari/blog/2006/03/25/generic-object-services-gos--in-background--part-ii

cheers,

Prashanth

P.S Please mark helpful answers

0 Kudos

Hi Prashanth,

Thanks... i have seen the weblogs before. They are not exactally what i am looking for. The GOS in general is used at a business object level like Vendor master, Sales Order etc.

My requirement is to attach document at record level and not at a transaction level.

Thanks for your reply.

VJ

0 Kudos

Hi Vijayendra

What version of SAP are you on?

Have you tried the 'Services for object' way?

Regards

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I am on R/3 Enterprise version.

Not clear....Service for objects - Do u mean some thing similar to GOS ( Generic object services? )

Rgds

VJ

0 Kudos

Hi VJ

Go within a quotation for changing and you can see a button next to the screen title with tooltip text 'Services for object', click on the drop-down and look at the options under it.

Regards

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

What you are referring to is GOS ( The button on the title bar on the left hand side corner. ).

GOS would not work in my case i believe.

Secondly when i mentioned Quotation its not the quotation as we have in sales & Distribution. The quotations i am referring to is custom developments done in our system. Its a screen where the users will login and create price quotation for a specific MKU part.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Cheers

VJ

0 Kudos

Hi VJ

Did u have a look at this?

Have a look at SAP help here...http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/3d/90a9371c726343e10000009b38f842/frameset.htm

Message was edited by: Ravi Dixit

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks again !! Guess all of them are related to GOS only. GOS is a good option to attach any documents at transaction level like sales order or purchase order etc,. What i am looking is to try to attach documents at record level and not at transaction level.

Cheers

VJ

0 Kudos

Hi VJ

Have you tried using the HTML viewer while storing the files on the network?

Regards

Ravi