Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we gonna loose the already existing data in production?

former_member194142
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a custom table (say, Z_TBL) w/ 63 fields, these fields are like below,

WERKS_1
WERKS_2
WERKS_3 like that upto WERKS_30. All these 30 fields of Plant has been assigned w/ standard SAP WERKS_D data element

Same case w/ MATNR fields, I mean,

MATNR_1
MATNR_2
MATNR_3 like that upto MATNR_30; All these 30 fields of MATNR has been assigned w/ standard SAP MATNR data element, well.

Then, additional 3 fields, like PO_NUMBER, START_DATE and END_DATE,

Currently, in production we have around 1000 records in Z_TBL_1.

Now, my requiremnt is: Users want to see Plant & its description in one field together w/ a hyphen seperator and same case w/ MATNR,
example for plant,

Today the data is as 1234
To-be 1234 - US CA Plant

Hence I need to increase the each single field length, say if its a MATNR, currently its length is 18 in my Z_TBL, I need to increase it to 58

Pls. let me know (fyi...Z_TBL doesn' hv a TMG)

1) If I increase the each single field length in Z_TBL and transport it to PRD, do we loose the currently existing data of 1000 recs in production?

2) If we looses, then what are the alternatives?

3) Before & after increasing the length, any prerequisit steps or precaustions I need to consider? I knew that I need to do SE14

4) Any better approach to achive my requirement?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

edgar_nagasaki
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Once you're increasing field size for sure you won't loose data neither have it truncated.

But, if you allow me, I would sugget you to not proceed in the way you mentioned but, once you already have all needed codes in your table (all plants and materials numbers), to create a table view linking your custom table to both plant and material master data. Or, if it's reporting matter, to provide the proper data selection inner joining all 3 tables.

Regards,

Edgar

4 REPLIES 4

edgar_nagasaki
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Once you're increasing field size for sure you won't loose data neither have it truncated.

But, if you allow me, I would sugget you to not proceed in the way you mentioned but, once you already have all needed codes in your table (all plants and materials numbers), to create a table view linking your custom table to both plant and material master data. Or, if it's reporting matter, to provide the proper data selection inner joining all 3 tables.

Regards,

Edgar

0 Kudos

Thank you.

Just I want to make sure that you are advising a Database View between my Z tbl and T001W / MAKT right?

GirieshM
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. For the safer side take a backup of the system records. If anything goes wrong restore the system backup.

2. After you made the changes and if it asks to adjust the table using SE14, you have an option to adjust the table without losing the data within the tcode.

3. With the help of an abaper, extract the values from the table into excel and modify the content as per requirement and upload/modify the content into the table again using report or lsmw.

Hope it might help you.

With Regards,

Giriesh M

nabheetscn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What exactly is the purpose behind doing the same..?An easy solution instead of this you can suggest is to create view which will have material and description plant and description and so on and on

Nabheet