Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classification View For MM

Former Member
0 Kudos

When i tried to enter the classification data in the SAP MM Classification Tab using MM01 Transaction

Its throwing me an error saying that " Class Type 001 : class Test not found"

I trying checking in IMG but was not able to find the exact location where can i specify the Class for the respective class type

Also Could any body explain the significance of the classification Tab for the MM

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

CL02 is where you create a class and you have to assign it to a class type at that point. This is considered master data not configuration task.

Classification is part of cross-application components and by that it means you can classification used in different areas from BOMs, to material master to vendor or customer master etc. Each of the class types explain the areas where classification is used. Under each class type, you have classes assigned to them, and within each class you will have characteristics and each characteristic can hold one or more values depending on how it is defined. Until this point it is all master data. Now you can assign objects to classes and what objects can be assigned to what classes(indirectly to which class type) is determined by their underlying master table and is defined in IMG under cross application components.

Once you assign an object to a class, you can enter the values for each of the characteristics and store against that object. This is a generic explanation of the classification system.

Now coming to material master, you define the classification to have those extra fields (characteristics) so that you can store additional data pertaining to the material without doing any core modification. That is the main purpose of the classification.

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

CL02 is where you create a class and you have to assign it to a class type at that point. This is considered master data not configuration task.

Classification is part of cross-application components and by that it means you can classification used in different areas from BOMs, to material master to vendor or customer master etc. Each of the class types explain the areas where classification is used. Under each class type, you have classes assigned to them, and within each class you will have characteristics and each characteristic can hold one or more values depending on how it is defined. Until this point it is all master data. Now you can assign objects to classes and what objects can be assigned to what classes(indirectly to which class type) is determined by their underlying master table and is defined in IMG under cross application components.

Once you assign an object to a class, you can enter the values for each of the characteristics and store against that object. This is a generic explanation of the classification system.

Now coming to material master, you define the classification to have those extra fields (characteristics) so that you can store additional data pertaining to the material without doing any core modification. That is the main purpose of the classification.

0 Kudos

I have to enter the following data in the classification Tab for MM

CLASS_TYPE

CLASS_NAME

CHARACT_NAME

CHARACT_VALUE

How can i Customize them Please Explain

Thanks