Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing size of standard data element.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello here,

I need some clarification.

I have standard data element TIDNR - Technical identification number (Used in PM tables).

It has Data Type - CHAR and Length 25.

Is it possible to increase his length to 35?

Maybe, it is possible to create new data element ZTIDNR and make reference to TIDNR?

Or easily is to add some user field to equipment time segment?

Thank You in advance.

Edited by: andriy.hulyk on Nov 1, 2011 3:23 PM

Edited by: andriy.hulyk on Nov 1, 2011 3:24 PM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Clemenss
Active Contributor

Hi andriy,

always be careful.

Check what the where-used-list says: It's not only the use in programs and database tables, all input/output fields are also affected and must be changed manually (which is a modification).

You may create an own translation table: If i.e. you allow only 96 characters as defined ind [CDC display code|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_display_code] , this can be reduced to 8 characters in 6 bytes or 33 chars in the original data element. Some bit&byte operations required for the conversion. If you define your own code with, say only A-Z, 0-9 and space and some more you can reduce to 5 bits having 8 characters in 5 bytes and so forth.

If you are on unicode with 2 bytes per char, possibilties are even more...

Yes, it's kind of a challenge - but at least an idea.

Regards,

Clemens

4 REPLIES 4

MaruthiKona217
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Do not change standard data element or domain because it will effect all the tables wherever this data element is used , it may lead to your system crash.

It is better to create a new data element or else find out the data element which satisfies your requirement and replace it.

Regards,

Maruthi

Edited by: maruthi kona on Nov 1, 2011 10:28 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

create new fileld ZZTIDNR with the appropriate ZTIDNR Data element and appropriate domain. Write necessary code to populate/display, etc.

Clemenss
Active Contributor

Hi andriy,

always be careful.

Check what the where-used-list says: It's not only the use in programs and database tables, all input/output fields are also affected and must be changed manually (which is a modification).

You may create an own translation table: If i.e. you allow only 96 characters as defined ind [CDC display code|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_display_code] , this can be reduced to 8 characters in 6 bytes or 33 chars in the original data element. Some bit&byte operations required for the conversion. If you define your own code with, say only A-Z, 0-9 and space and some more you can reduce to 5 bits having 8 characters in 5 bytes and so forth.

If you are on unicode with 2 bytes per char, possibilties are even more...

Yes, it's kind of a challenge - but at least an idea.

Regards,

Clemens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have an idea, problem solved. Thnks.