Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BDC with disabled fields

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm writing a BDC program for a transaction that might contain disabled fields. At run time I can't determine wich fields are disabled so the BDC doesn't work when I try to write in a those fields. Does anyone know how I can solve this issue?

7 REPLIES 7

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SAPer,

No chance in BDC. BDC means Blind Data Carry. It is like a blind man walk through a door that does not exist.

Possibly you can find a BAPI to do what you want.

Regards,

Clemens

Former Member
0 Kudos

"Blind Data Carry" - that's a new one on me... it used to be Batch Data Communication!

When you say "can't determine which fields are disabled", well generally you can do this - but it may require a lot of code and database lookups i.e. SAP itself determines which fields to block at runtime depending on configuration and data values and other switches therefore it should be technically possible to anticipate which are open for input and which are not. If you chat to your functional guys, they can often give you broad business rules that might help e.g. "Balance Sheet GL accounts won't have Cost Centre open for input" which may help you write something a little easier. You're likely to have the same problem with BAPIs - if you provide data values that are not required the BAPI may issue an error too.

Which transactions are you trying to BDC into?

Jonathan

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

\Hi,

@Clemens, That was funny...:)

>

> Hi all,

>

> At run time I can't determine wich fields are disabled so the BDC doesn't work when I try to write in a those fields.

YOu CAN determine which fields will be enabled, with the help of a functional person.

He will be able to assist you, what fields will be open in what conditions, which would mean, that you need to put some conditions based on some flags to populate the BDC Table in your program.

Can you tell us which transaction are you trying a BDC?We can tell you the corresponding BApI.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Thanks for your inputs. I'm trying to create a BBP using EA61. During this transaction the system autmatically calculates the payemant amounts and their due dates, it determines as well which fields and lines of a table control should be disabled... bottom line hell of a complicated processing, that's why I said I can't, never meant it's not possible

Moreover, I tried to use some of ISU FM to create BBPs but with no success, that's why I used BDC.

0 Kudos

OK friends,

sure there is always a way to determine which fields are enabled and which are not.

It's still the blind man: If he knows the door is closed or just doesn't exist he will not try to walk through.

The Blind Data Carry was just a spontaneous idea: Get the picture: The blind who knows the exact way to go will not fail - but he must know beforehand.

We could not do any BDC if we did not know the screena and their respective fields.

Regards,

Clemens

0 Kudos

Well then, I believe there is no way to solve the issue, it's a pity . Thanks for the inputs though

0 Kudos

Sorry - don't work at any CRM sites currently so no access to look at the EA61 Budget Billing Plan transaction in detail. My approach would probably be to run the standard transaction via SE30 (Performance Trace) with lots of levels of logging on in order to trace what gets called by the standard code, and work into the SAP ABAP from there - i.e. you'll need to replicate some of their processing in order to be able to anticipate the screen layout. Another trick that works in parts of SD & MM is to see if there is a "goto" function code on the screen which might allow you to control which rows get displayed (sometimes yout have to search the code for these - not always on the PF-Status).

Jonathan