Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

application log or spool message

former_member221838
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello People,

I want to know best practices regarding implementation of batch/background programs.

My question is:

1. Do you use any error mechanism if sy-subrc fails e.g. en-queue function module fails and return sy-subrc = '1' ... in that case do you just terminate your program or use some error mechanism and then terminate it (I want to know industry best practice).

2. Also which is the best error mechanism available (easy and performance oriented)

i.e. app. log, bpem or simple spool message etc.

Any documentation/url would be of great help.

-

Kind Regards,

Nikhil J.

Moderator message - Moved to the correct forum

Edited by: Rob Burbank on May 6, 2009 9:30 AM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

First some error mechanism and then termination is prefferable. Application error is generally used one. if specifically spool message required means then spool message will be used.

Thanks,

Suma.

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

First some error mechanism and then termination is prefferable. Application error is generally used one. if specifically spool message required means then spool message will be used.

Thanks,

Suma.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You use some error mechanism and terminate the program.

If the error is a critical one you can send an error by e-mail to specified users for prompt response.

Regards

Krishna

Pawan_Kesari
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Simply giving the error message is enough.

An error message will terminate the backgroud job, rollback any database update and you will be abe to see the job in cancelled state.

However, you program may require any custom error handling procedure..e.g. sending mail , notifying user or starting a work flow.