Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st and 2nd category VOFM purpose, no difference!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

When I hv seen the Copying requirements VOFMs purpose and Data Transfer VOFMs purpose, I dod not see much difference!! pls let me know the difference btwn these 2 categories in purpose perspective / when we go with 1st and when we go with 2nd one, if as a developer has to decide?

Thanlk you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

brad_bohn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The direct documentation for the fields has never been very good but the code examples should indicate the differences. They both serve distinct purposes. A copy requirement allows you to check that certain requirements are met before an entire document or document line items are copied from the source to the target document, e.g., a delivery item can't be considered for billing until it has been goods-issued. The copy requirement also provides logging functionality so all of the messages can be reviewed. Data transfer routines allow you to move/change/add certain work area values as the items are copied. They also allow you to specify the split criteria for more complex document splits during billing for example.

3 REPLIES 3

brad_bohn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The direct documentation for the fields has never been very good but the code examples should indicate the differences. They both serve distinct purposes. A copy requirement allows you to check that certain requirements are met before an entire document or document line items are copied from the source to the target document, e.g., a delivery item can't be considered for billing until it has been goods-issued. The copy requirement also provides logging functionality so all of the messages can be reviewed. Data transfer routines allow you to move/change/add certain work area values as the items are copied. They also allow you to specify the split criteria for more complex document splits during billing for example.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ThnaQ got it.

1) Just curious, Where can i see these logs?

2) Pls could you give eloborate (with example if possible ) SPLIT criteria in DATA TRANSFER routines?

3) But, still I can keep IF/CASE conditional checks in DATA TRANSFER routines and I can achieve the same functionality of COPPY REQUIREMENTS, right?

Thank you

brad_bohn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The log location depends on the application e.g., delivery due list, direct delivery create error log, etc. You can find an example of split criteria specification in many of the standard transfer routines, e.g., FV60C003. Use both types of routines as they were intended, i.e., a data transfer should not be used to control copying even if it could be done that way. SAP logic processes these routines in a certain order and handles the results differently.