cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the correct Red Hat version?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good morning.

We want to install MySAP ERP 2005 on Linux on a IBM xseries 346 64 bit.

I've seen that Red Hat EL 4 is certified by SAP

In this page, http://www50.sap.com/linux/platforms/index.asp, is also specified the kernel to use.

But I haven't find any other suggestions on http://service.sap.com/pam

I'm a little bit confused about the correct version: AS, ES... 4.2, 4.4, 5?

Can anyone please give me a suggestion about the correct version to choose??

Regards,

Luca

View Entire Topic
hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Luca,

I now remember that I also ran into this problem. It is caused by MaxDB. Please have a look at SAP note <a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/848436">848436</a> and check section "20 Sep 05 ERP ABAP: MaxDB Parameter SHAREDSQL".

It also took me a long time to figure out, what causes the problem. Setting the correct parameters in <dbsid>_sapdb_db_parameter.txt solves the problem. Another workaround is to use only one single R3load process, because in this case the situation can be avoided.

Best Regards,

Hannes Kuehnemund

SAP Linuxlab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good evening to everybody.

Thank you very much Hannes for your suggestion.

I've set one single R3load process, and something seems changed.

In fact, I didn't receive any feedback from "top" command on the terminal before.

Now, I see that 2 process of sdb user are running. Sometimes also appears a R3load process of devadm user.

You can see a screenshot on the following URL: http://www.lucasozio.it/top.png

The process of import abap (step 17) is so long?? It's more than 24 hours that it is running.

The server is a IBM xseries 346 intel xeon 64 4 GB RAM and 2 DISK (300 GB) on raid 1(sw).

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Luca

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Luca,

using a software raid may slow down the system, but I don't know by which factor (as I never gave it a try).

Using only one single R3load process was the second workaround which should only be used if the first one (changing parameters) does not work. The first workaround is the official one, and should be use first. Maybe I didn't point it out clearly enough.

As long as there are running processes (R3load and kernel(which is MaxDB kernel process)) something is happening. Using vmstat or iostat you could check if data is written to disk.

Cheers,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hannes,

Your suggestions solved myroblem with ECC installation!!!!!

It has been a long installation process (about 4 days), but successfull.

Thank you very much for your help.

The last question.

I've installed a java sap gui (for Linux) on the same machine to test my SAP installation.

During logon I receive the following error

Attempt to load shared library libJPlatin.so failed

see for details www.lucasozio.it/error_gui.JPG

To solve the problem:

- I've set permission 777 to this file.

- set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /SAPCLIENT/bin

I've read a post this problem is due to the java 64 bit version? Is it correct?

So I can't solve this problem?

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Luca,

up to now, only the Linux 32bit version of the JavaGUI is available. If you want to run the 32bit JavaGUI in a x86_64 (64bit) environment, you have to install a 32bit JDK and several other libraries (libXp for example). If you do an

ldd /path/to/libJPlatin.so

you will see, which 32bit libraries you need. You may have to extract these libs from other 32-bit rpm packages/deb packages yourself. When having the missing libs you have to use

LD_PRELOAD /path/to/libs/lib.so

to ensure that these libs are loaded before the 64bit versions. Then it should work.

Best Regards

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Hannes,

The note 848436 does not exist anymore. Can you give me advices about what should I change in the file? I'm on Windows 2003.

Here is the actual content:

1. Paramfile for Max DB

#

#

1. Parametername Parametervalue //Comment

CACHE_SIZE 180096

LOG_MIRRORED NO

MAXUSERTASKS 50

MAXCPU 1

LOG_IO_QUEUE 200

MAXLOCKS 300000

CAT_CACHE_SUPPLY 10000

JOIN_MAXTAB_LEVEL4 64

_UNICODE YES

DEFAULT_CODE ASCII

PACKETSIZE 131072

MCOD NO

Thank You,

Mona

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mona,

please open a separate thread and ask the question again. Maybe with more information, because I can't help you with the information you provided.

Thanks,

Hannes