cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well well well, am I obsolete?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just read an 'interesting' article about the shelf life of techies.  Now, the internetz are full of articles concerning this, but this one got my attention because an SAP-guy gave his opinion about this:

"The shelf life of a software engineer today is no more than that of a cricketer - about 15 years," says V R Ferose, MD of German software major SAP's India R&D Labs that has over 4,500 employees . "The 20-year-old guys provide me more value than the 35-year-olds do."

I mean, really???  This kinda makes me sad and angry at the same time.  I'm wondering how SAP products would look like without those obsolete techies.

Read the whole article here:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-company/corporate-trends/whats-the-shelf-life-of-a-...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perhaps he works in an environment where he is surrounded by middle aged men with moustaches and just one very nice 20 year old secretary?

If that is the case then perhaps he was quoted out of context...  🙂

<conspiracy theory> Or... he is trying to justify that lots of juniors and high job fluctuation in Indian software companies, such as his labs, is not a problem. /<conspiracy theory>

Anyway, one should give people the chance to explain. A quote which is about the same length as a tweet cannot say too much about the context.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perhaps he works in an environment where he is surrounded by middle aged men with moustaches and just one very nice 20 year old secretary?

If that is the case then perhaps he was quoted out of context...  🙂

Well maybe, didn't think about that 🙂  In that case I should feel sorry for the guy (although there's nothing wrong with a nice Motörhead-Lemmy-moustache ).

Anyway, one should give people the chance to explain. A quote which is about the same length as a tweet cannot say too much about the context.

True, but the word is out there.  Anyhow, I won't let any sleep over it. Hey, it even spiced me up!  Don't mess with the old guys muhaha.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also read this great blog on the topic:

Thomas

PhaniKalvagunta
Contributor
0 Kudos

I have to agree with you.Master piece

Phani Prasad

former_member182046
Contributor
0 Kudos

Phani and Thomas,

I'm glad you like the piece. The reactions were pretty unanimous and showed that many people in the community disagree with Ferose's (purported) point of view. What did come out, though, was that there seems to be a strong culture angle.

This morning, , , , , and I had a conversation about this, which we recorded and will publish as a podcast once it's processed. On the one hand, there seems to be a bit of built-in ageism in the way the Indian IT industry currently functions. On the other hand, it's not an exclusively Indian phenomenon by far - Silicon Valley, for instance, has got its own flavor of ageism.

Best,

Thorsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

You mean a police station? And hey, that nice girl is NOT the secretary.

Cheers Michael

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't worry. Even when using the most recent ABAP OO-technology, when debugging deep in, you will still find macros

Seriously now, all I read in that linked article was "blah blah blah statistics blah blah cloud computing, iPhone, herpus derpus". 2xu, You don't need to be sad or angry just because the author has delusions of a grandeur , at that, I did enjoy the inevitable shitstorm in the comment section.

"Managing Director" Ferose's quote, though, in case he really said that, is pretty sad and dull indeed...

Cheers, Lukas

P.S. I especially liked this comment: "There are plenty of cool 60  year olds and plenty of dead head twenty-somethings." /signed. For the record, I'm 24.