cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environmental Variables on APP Server and CI/DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Can you all explain me in a very layman terms What does Environmental settings means. I am going to be administrating

R3/HP-UX/Oracle based system with Linux App servers. I need to know how can i edit environmental variables.

Do i use Vi editor or there are commands to set environmental variables. Please give me some knowledge and enlightenment on concept of environmental variables and how to set/edit them .

Appreciate all your support in anticipation.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saud,

Environment variable means that dynamic named values. These values are affecting operating system tasks. Find the information in the document, below;

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable

You can use "export" command by most of the linux variants, in order to set environment variables. You can make a search over the Internet to find more information.

You can set these parameters on the operating system console or set them in the user profile files by using vi editor. Home directory for each user has a file named ".profile" which contains environment variables belong to the user and can be edited by vi editor, for example on ksh shell. Please note that the profile filename changes by type of the shell.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik