cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BFC 7.5 data import from an Access database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Has anyone tried to import data into BFC straight from an MS Access database?  If so, could you please advise what are the requirements to make it happen?  Currently when I try to import data by selecting "table", I can only access BFC tables in the database.

Thanks in advance

Ashwin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Marc_Kuipers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Ashwin,

Yes, I think that should be possible.

You should create a DSN to your MS Access database and select this DSN in the import

Your table should have the correct structure for the import to succeed (like the ct_pack_import that is created by DL)

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc

Should the DSN be created on the application server? Does the Microsoft Access Database Engine need to be installed as well to be able to create an ODBC connection to the Access database?

Hope you can give me some specific details on what needs to be installed.

Thanks again

Ashwin

Marc_Kuipers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Ashwin,

You should create a system DSN on each application server. The MS Access engine needs to be present.

The user defined in the DSN needs to have the right to select data from the table (i.e. grant select on pack_import to user_import)

The table itself (your import table) should have the same columns as a 'flat-file' would have

One final point, check this note for 32/64 bit issues:

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1536900

Thanks

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc

I was able to get IT to install and setup the MS Access ODBC driver on the application server.

Now, I can see the Access data source and the tables and queries in the Access database.  However, all the tables I select are "empty" in the Data Import Wizard status (top right corner).

You mention that the user defined in the DSN needs to have the right to select data from the table.  How do you setup a user in the DSN?  The Access database does not have a login or password.

Hope you can help.

Ashwin

Marc_Kuipers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc

I tried to follow the section Exporting Access data of the link you provided and I don't know what to select in Step 5.  If I choose the Access ODBC connection, I get the error message:

"You cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link an external Microsoft Access or ISAM database table to your database."

Thanks

Ashwin

Marc_Kuipers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Ashwin,

I think your issue is more an ODBC one, than a SAP BFC problem

Can you try this test with your DB

1. I created a simple MS Access DB with some tables

2. Create an ODBC connection to it

3. Now, in order to test access without BFC, I simply use Excel (data option)

Use the Microsoft query and select the ODBC connection created in previous step

4. The tables show up, I select some fields

5. Retrieve the data in Excel

--> data returns without any problems

Does this work on your side? If not, you should look into the ODBC connection, perhaps there is something wrong there.

Thanks

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc

I actually got the same idea and it worked without problem retrieving the MS Access data into Excel using Microsoft Query just like you mentioned above.

The only difference is I'm using a User DSN setup on the client PC.  How should it be setup on the BFC application server, as a user DSN or a system DSN?  Can there be a conflict if the same DSN is setup both on the application server and on the client PC?

Thanks

Ashwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc,

I also tried creating a data link definition to the MS Access database and I get the error message "Error when reading the table contents" when I select a table.

Thanks

Ashwin