cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding members to AppShell's TIME dimension.

Former Member
0 Kudos

5.1 SP3 AppShell only comes with calculated TIME members 2005.TOTAL through 2008.TOTAL which I think is ridiculous. It's seems pretty straightforward to add future calculated time members because the TimeID can be properly sequenced.

My question is how does one add 1998.TOTAL, 1999.TOTAL, etc. with AppShell's existing TimeIDs? (I've already copied the FINANCE app to create my own EXPENSE app and now want to import members from BPC 4.2sp3 which contains historical data from 2000 through 2004.

Do I use UserTimeID property and process the TIME dimension? If so, what results should be expected? Will the app automatically update the TimeID property? (similar to how NewID column updates the ID in other dimensions?)

Should I just update all of the TimeIDs and have 1998.TOTAL start with 10000002.

or

Should I just add the new time members and have 1998.TOTAL start at say 09999960 (or whatever number is apporpriate) so that 2005.TOTAL remains 10000002?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Ara

Edited by: Ara Toroyan on Aug 14, 2008 6:28 AM

Edited by: Ara Toroyan on Aug 14, 2008 6:30 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ara,

I always follow the following procedure when adding a new year (could be an older year than the existing ones or a newer one)

- copy an entire year and insert it at the beginning of the end

- select this new created rows

- use the replace option to replace the year value (ie 2005) with the 'new' year value (ie 2004)

- process the dimension

- the timeid for the hierarchicall totals will be automatically adjusted by BPC

So in fact it is pretty simple to ad newer or older years.

Hope this helps,

Alwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Alwin!

That's the easiest thing we've done yet!

Any tips on adding the member: ALL.TIME ?

Can I simply add it to the bottom and make it a parent of all the years (of course updating the yyyy.TOTAL members to roll to ALL.TIME)?

Will BPC update the TimeID as well?

-Ara

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alwin,

This is just what we needed. I'll have the DBAs do it.

The only points that I could award were 2 for helpful, but you answered my question. Sorry about the points.

Ara

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ara,

The time dimension hasn't changed from V4 to V5. So you might try to use your V4 method in V5. However, be sure to test it extensively in combination with the different measures.

Adding measures can be done as follow:

First way (and the best way):

add the measure to the tblformula or tblytdformula sqltable of your applicationset and save the application

second way:

start microsoft Visual studio

File - Open - Analysis Service database

select in the dialog your server and the database where you want to add the measure

right click on the cube in the solution explorer (on the right site of the sreen) where you want to add the measure and select 'open'

select now 'calculated members' tabsheet and you will see the current measures and calculations behind these measures.

you can now add a new measure (with your right mouse button) and save the cube

The penalty using this way is that when you save an application or process a time dimension, the custom measure will be deleted and you have to add it again manually

Alwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Alwin and Joost.

In 4.2 we used all.time to easily obtain investment project expenditures that cross over calendar years.

I don't know how to implement Alwin's solution, but it looks good!

If either of you can send me more specifics I'd appreciate it.

ara_toroyan @ ncci . com

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ara,

Why do you need a member like all.time. BPC does not standardly support a member like all.time.

The only reason I can think of is that you want to see things like project costs for the total of all years.

If this is the case than you could solve it by creating a measure called LTD - Life To Date.

This measure would be something like:

Periodic application (never used this myself, so not completely sure if this works):
[MEASURES].[LTD] as 'Sum( {Descendants([TIME].Members.Item(0),,LEAVES).Item(0) :Tail(Descendants([TIME].CurrentMember.Lag(1),,LEAVES),1).Item(0) },[MEASURES].[Periodic] 

YTD application (used this myself, it works):
[measures].[LTD] as 'IIF(INSTR("INCEXP",[ACCOUNT_PC].PROPERTIES("ACCTYPE")),IIF(NOT INSTR("TOTALQ1Q2Q3Q4",[TIME].PROPERTIES("PERIOD")),SUM(([TIME].[2004.JAN]:[TIME].CURRENTMEMBER),[MEASURES].[PERIODIC]),(([TIME].CURRENTMEMBER.LASTCHILD),[MEASURES].[LTD])),[MEASURES].[YTD])'

Alwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looking for additional help on ALL.TIME.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think you can create a parent which is higher in the hierarchy then the YEAR level. If you want to calculate accounts together for the whole history, because I suppose that's what you intend to do with this, I would suggest implementing a "Life to date" measure, which has been posted on the forum earlier I think. Otherwise I can send it to you.

-Joost

Edited by: Joost Hoppenbrouwers on Aug 14, 2008 4:06 PM

Again posted the same answer at the same time as Alwin, but at least he has the example attached to it