2023 publications (webinar recordings, podcast episodes, articles, blogs, etc.)
- Open Source Project ABAP Cleaner. Webinar with Jörg-Michael Grassau, initiator of the ABAP cleaner tool and Senior Developer for S/4 HANA at SAP; about the open-source project ABAP cleaner - a configurable tool with the ambition to automate whatever can be automated with respect to ABAP code style - and how you can contribute and use the tool. Recording & Slides
- Open Sourcing CAP. Webinar with Sebastian Schmidt, Development Manager for CAP; Christian Georgi, Product Owner at SAP; and Richard Lindner, SAP BTP SaaS Expert Developer at SAP about CAP – a framework designed for building cloud applications with Node.js or Java – and how it offers best practices and turnkey solutions for enterprise-level challenges. Recording & Slides
- Open Component Model (OCM) – Breaking Boundaries with Open Source Collaboration. Webinar with Ingo Kober, Product Owner at SAP; and Jason Kafka, Engineering Manager at SAP about the Open Component Model (OCM) project and how the team navigated through a development culture clash for effective collaboration. Recording
- Ways of Supporting Open-Source Communities. Webinar with Johannes Bechberger, developer at SapMachine; Andreas Kunz, lead architect at OpenUI5; and Christian Neu, member of the Open Source Program Office; about the growth and management of open source communities and the challenges that accompany it. Recording
Podcast "The Open Source Way"
- Project “Foxhound” – Hunting Cross-Site Scripting on the Web. Episode with Thomas Barber about project “Foxhound” - an SAP maintained fork of Firefox- and how it’s used for security research and detecting vulnerabilities like cross-site scripting (XSS) on websites.
- The TODO Group – Talk Openly, Develop Openly. Episode with Ana Jiménez Santamaría on how the TODO Group brings OSPOs together to collaborate and share knowledge.
- Open Component Model (OCM) – Describe, Transport, Deploy. Episode with Jason Kafka and Ingo Kober on how OCM improves deployment and lifecycle management of software components.
- Credential Digger – Detecting leaked secrets on GitHub. Episode with Slim Trabelsi on how Credential Digger is using Machine Learning Models to precisely identify hardcoded secrets in source code and prevent password leaks.
- Do Good and Talk about it! Episode with Johannes Bechberger about promoting your open-source work on the Web and at conferences.
- Debunking InnerSource Myths. Episode with Georg Grütter and Michael Picht on why InnerSource is a benefit - not a detriment - for projects, teams, and organizations.
- SUSE – Delivering automation and enterprise grade open-source software to the SAP ecosystem. Episode with Alan Clarke and Keith Seigel on how SUSE delivers enterprise grade open-source software to their customers and helps system admins with automation tools.
- SAP Cloud Application Programming Model (CAP) – A step-by-step journey towards open source. Episode with Christian Georgi and Daniel Hutzel on how the SAP Cloud Application Programming Model (CAP) us gradually going open source.
- Effective Decision-Making Strategies for Open Source Risk Management and Sustainability - interview by Klaus Häuptle and Sebastian Wolf, December 2023
- ABAP cleaner project – open, configurable, and automated - blog post by Ulrike Fempel, October 2023
- OSPOlogyLive Event in Frankfurt: “local, affordable, and in-depth” - blog post by Ulrike Fempel, October 2023
- ABAP Tools for Clean ABAP - blog post by Olga Dolinskaja, October 2023
- Open Sourcing CAP – How to learn more or get involved - blog post by Ulrike Fempel, October 2023
- Managing Open Source Software with an Open Source Program Office - blog post by Michael Picht, September 2023
- Kubernetes Cross-Cluster Communication: Ditching Long-Lived Credentials - blog post by Tobias Gabriel, September 2023
- The Case for Automating Dependency Updates! - blog post by Tobias Gabriel, September 2023
- Building Trust in AI: YouTube Transcript OpenAI Assistant – blog post by Iatco Sergiu, July 2023
- SAP CAP Hybrid Testing – blog post by Dries Van Vaerenbergh, June 2023
- SAP Developer Challenge – Open Source ABAP! - blog post by Mamikee Kanneh, May 2023
- The potential of Open Source and InnerSource to accelerate skill transformation and a culture of collaboration - blog post by Ulrike Fempel, April 2023
Involving software engineers in shaping the future of Clean ABAP and the Style Guide repository - blog post by Klaus Haeuptle, April 2023
- Validating Java Profiling APIs - blog post by Johannes Bechberger, March 2023
Introducing Resilience in the SAP Cloud SDK Version 3.0 - blog post by Frank Essenberger, February 2023
- Kyma Runtime: The Game Changer in Modern Microservices Architecture - blog post by Cameron Khorsandi, February 2023
A ChatGPT-like chat app built with modern SAP technologies (CAP, SAPUI5) - Part 1/3 - blog post by Mike Zaschka, February 2023
- Do you trust profilers? I once did too - blog post by Johannes Bechberger, February 2023
- AP-Loader: A new way to use and embed a sync-profiler - blog post by Johannes Bechberger, February 2023
- SapMachine Vitals - blog post by Thomas Stuefe, February 2023
JVMs getting OOM-killed? Try SapMachine High Memory Reports - blog post by Thomas Stuefe, February 2023
UI5 Tooling 3.0 - blog post by Merlin Beutlberger, February 2023
- Channel synchronization in open source PLC emulator - blog post by Dominik Tylczynski, January 2023
Open source PLC emulator for SAP EWM MFS in action - blog post by Dominik Tylczynski, January 2023
- How SAP Runs and Documents its InnerSource program - Guilherme Dellagustin, InnerSource Summit 2023, November 2023
- InnerSource, InnerSource Program Offices e como funciona a iniciativa de InnerSource na SAP
- Guilherme Dellagustin, Angola Open-Source Fest, October 2023
- Mastering your Organization’s Open Source Journey - Peter Giese, OSPOlogyLive Frankfurt, October 2023
- Challenge Accepted: Innovations around Us and Our Vision for Mind-blowing IDEs - Sonja Liénard, EclipseCon, October 2023
Digital Twin Open Source Landscape – How Asset Administration Shell is enabling interoperability with Digital Twins - Thiago Weber Martins, EclipseCon, October 2023
- Eclipse IDE and RCP Platform: Unveiling the Past, Present and Future - Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft and Sebastian Ratz, EclipseCon, October 2023
- Erfolgreiches Community Management für Projekte mit hohem öffentlichem Interesse am Beispiel der Corona-Warn-App - Christian Neu, Bitkom Forum Open Source, September 2023
- Open Source Contributions & Security - Der Weg zu einer Strategie - Christof Walter & Martina Götz, Bitkom Forum Open Source, September 2023
2022 publications (webinar recordings, podcast episodes, articles, blogs, etc)
- Project Piper - From InnerSource to Open Source. Webinar with Thorsten Duda, product owner at the Continuous Integration and Delivery Service and contributor to project "Piper" at SAP, about this continuous integration and delivery open-source project. Recordings & Slides
- Open Source at SAP - What's in it for Students. Webinar with Ulrike Fempel, responsible for communication and business development of open source at SAP, discussing with students how they can benefit from open source when diving into a first job opportunity with an open-source project or when making open source part of their thesis or research at SAP. Recording & Slides
- Copyright and License Compliance in SAP Open-Source Projects. Webinar with Sebastian Wolf, development architect at SAP, about copyright and license compliance in SAP open-source projects and SAP’s "outbound" process that enables teams to start open-source projects or to contribute to existing projects. Recording & Slides
- Open Source License Compliance with OpenChain. Webinar with Shane Coughlan, OpenChain general manager at the Linux Foundation and Peter Giese, head of the SAP Open Source Program Office, sharing their insights about key requirements of a quality open source compliance program. Recording & Slides
- Gaia-X, Catena-X, International Data Spaces – Three Initiatives, One Goal. Webinar with Nemrude Verzano, head of Industry 4.0 and Digital Supply Chain Innovation at SAP. Being one of the stakeholders in the Catena-X project, Nemrude explained the common goals of this community-driven lighthouse project. Recording & Slides
- Navigating Open Source Risk. Webinar with Dawn Foster, director of Open Source Community Strategy at VMware, talking about a wide variety of risks along with ideas for mitigation when using and contributing to open source projects. Recording & Slides
Podcast "The Open Source Way"
- Project Piper – From InnerSource to Open Source. Episode with Christoph Szymanski on how Piper became a successful continuous integration and delivery project.
- Red Hat - Distributor and Mediator in the open-source World. Episode with Arne Arnold on how Red Hat became a catalyst for open-source communities.
- Linux Foundation – Building Trust in Software Supply Chains. Episode with Shane Coughlan on how OpenChain by the Linus Foundation and other projects enable a trusted supply chain for open-source software.
- Cloud Foundry – A One-Size-Fits-All Solution for Application Development. Episode with Ruben Koster and Beyhan Veli on how Cloud Foundry simplifies the coding process for application developers.
- wdi5 -UI5’s open-source end-to-end testing framework. Episode with Volker Buzek and Peter Muessig on how the community project wdi5 functions as a quality assurance tool.
- Open Source at WMware – Key Driver of Innovation. Episode with Dr. Dwan Foster on how VMware contributes to open source and about the importance of project and community health.
- Open Source at Microsoft – Clearly Defined and Open-Source Supply Chain Security. Episode with Nell Shamrell-Harrington and Sebastian Wolf on how Microsoft’s use of open source and contribution to the open-source community have evolved over the years.
- Gaia-X, Catena-X, International Data Spaces – Three Initiatives, One Goal. Episode with Nemrude “Rudi” Verzano on how Gaia-X, Catena-X and International Data Spaces contribute to securely processing, sharing, and managing data access organizations.
- Mercedes-Benz FOSS – Open Source in the Automotive Industry. Episode with Dr. Wolfgang Gehring and Dr. Christian Wege on how Mercedes-Benz contributes to and participates in the open-source world.
- Eclipse Dirigible – An Open-Source Platform for End-to-End Rapid Development of Business Applications. Episode with Yordan Pavlov and Dragomir Anachkov on how SAP developers and customers benefit from Eclipse Dirigible and XSK.
- SAP Open Source 2022 report - SAP OSPO article about SAP community open-source engagement and achievements in 2022, December 2022
- Highlights of the SAP Open Source 2022 report - blog post by Ulrike Fempel, December 2022
- Clean Code: Writing maintainable, readable, and testable code - blog post by Klaus Haeuptle, December 2022
- Identity Authentication Opens Its Documentation for Your Feedback with GitHub- blog post by Valentin Atanassov, November 2022
- Open Documentation Initiative for SAPUI5 and SAP Fiori Elements - Help Us to Help You!- blog post by Oliver Mueller, October 2022
- Open Source at SAP, What's in it for students?- blog post by Ulrike Fempel, August 202
- SAP Open Source Champions- blog post by Ulrike Fempel, August 2022
- The Open UX Tools Journey Continues- blog post by Tobias Queck, July 2022
- UI5 Community & SAP – A Perfect Symbiosis- blog post by Peter Muessig, June 2022
- Open Source License Compliance with OpenChain- blog post by Ulrike Fempel, May 2022
- Web Components enablement for OpenUI5/SAPUI5- blog post by Peter Muessig, March 2022
- Community content on the SAP API Business Hub - blog post by Aaditya Nigam, February 2022
- Here be Dragons?! The (hi)story of Open Source at SAP - Sebastian Wolf, FOSS Friday, February 2022
- How SAP Manages Open Source and InnerSource with an Open Source Program Office - Michael Picht, Airbus, September 2022
- Copyright and License Compliance in SAP Open Source Projects - Sebastian Wolf, Mercedes-Benz Open Source Meetup, September 2022
- Copyright- und Lizenz-Compliance bei SAP-Open Source-Projekten (German) - Sebastian Wolf, Bitkom Open Source Forum, September 2022
InnerSource is a marathon, not a sprint – the SAP Journey - Guilherme Dellagustin, InnerSource Commons Summit, November 2022
2021 publications (webinar recordings, podcast episodes, articles, blogs, etc)
- UI5 Web Components - Ilhan Myumyun, Stanislava Baltova, and Filip Siderov
- Open Documentation Initiative - DJ Adams, November 9th
- ClearlyDefined: Clear License Data for Open Source - Carol Smith, Nell Shamrell-Harrington, Brian Duran, October 19th
- Eclipse Foundation Europe - Gael Blondelle (Eclipse Foundation Europe) and Matthias Sohn (SAP), September 22nd
- Gardener - Kubernetes Clusters across different Infrastructures - Frank Heine and Hardik Dodiya, July 27th
- Clean ABAP - Open Source Project with a Vivid Community - Klaus Häuptle and Florian Hoffmann, June 22nd
- Open Source Supply Chains - How Attackers Poison the Well - Henrik Plate, May 18th
- Open Source and Open Standards - From Enemies to Frenemies to Friends and Beyond - Mark Crawford, April 22nd
Podcast "The Open Source Way"
- SapMachine – The OpenJDK for all things SAP. Episode with Thomas Stüfe and Christoph Langer on how SAP became a distributor for OpenJDK.
- The Open Documentation Initiative – The Gold Standard of Collaborative Documentation. Episode with Jens Haley and DJ Adams on how SAP takes another step towards openness with collaborative documentation.
- Compiler History – The Open Source in Your Favorite 1990s First-Person Shooter. Episode with Jack Schueler and Sebastian Wolf on how Watcom has evolved from the late 1970s to today.
- Fundamental Library – An Open Source Library for Everyone. Episode with Mladen Droshev and Fabian Tempel on how to get started with the Fundamental Library and the benefits of using it.
- Rust -A language on the Rise. Episode with André Borrmann and Philipp Degler on how Rust differs from other programming languages and the benefits of using it.
- SAP Cloud SDK – Why Open Source is the Way to Go. Episode with Marika Marszalkowski and Frank Essenerger on how developers and costumers benefit from open sourcing the SAP Cloud SDK and how it evolved over time.
- License Compliance – From risks to developer friendly processes. Episode with Dobrinka Mladenova and Janaka Bohr on how license compliance evolved to a developer friendly approach and what makes customers happy.
- ZEISS and SAP – An Open Source Talk. Episode with Peter Giese about two companies, two industries – what do the OSPOs have in common?
- Fosstars – A Rating Approach to Open Source Components. Episode with Michael Bernhardt and Artem Smotrakov on how to make assessing security and other aspect of open source components easier.
- Clean ABAP – Best Practices for Effective ABAP Code, Straight from the Expert. Episode with Klaus Häuptle and Florian Hoffmann on how Clean ABAP helps creating long term sustainable code.
- OpenUI5 – A One-Stop-Shop UI Toolkit. Episode with Andreas Kunz and Peter Muessigon why the modular nature of OpenUI5 is an optimal fit for an open source approach and how it relates to SAPUI5 and SAP Fiori.
- SAP Open Source 2021 Year in Review - article by SAP OSPO, December 2021
- A Personal Reflection on the Open Source Year 2021 - blog post by Peter Giese, December 2021
- The Open UX Tools Journey - blog post by Tobias Queck, November 2021
- How SAP manages Open Source with an Open Source Program Office - blog post by Michael Picht, October 2021
- Establishing InnerSource@SAP - blog post by Michael Picht, October 2021
- Managing Open Source Software with an Open Source Program Office - blog post by Michael Picht, September 2021
- Women in Open Source - blog post by Ulrike Fempel, August 2021
- SAP Kyma Runtime (SKR) for Partners - blog post by Piotr Tesny, August 2021
- JEP 387 “Elastic Metaspace” - a new classroom for the Java Virtual Machine - blog post by Thomas Stuefe, July 2021
- Project “Sailor” - Enabling Machine Learning Extensibility - blog post by Uta Maria Loesch, March 2021
- Vulnerability data about open-source software should be open too! - blog post by Antonino SABETTA, March 2021
- Performing security scans early in development - blog post by Michael Bernhardt, March 2021
- Why Clean ABAP - A foundation for improvements - blog post by Klaus Haeuptle, March 2021
- Machine learning lab: your open-source machine learning platform - blog post by Erick David Santillan Perez, Feb 2021
- Support the selection of open-source by security ratings - blog post by Michael Bolz, Feb 2021
- Fosstars: a framework for defining ratings for open source projects - blog post by Artem Smotrakov, Feb 2021
- Back to the future: Cloud Foundry on Kubernetes - blog post by Bernd Krannich, Jan 2021
- Happy anniversary Gardener! Three years of open source Kubernetes management - blog post by Tim Usner, Jan 2021
- SAP's Open Source Program Office - Michael Picht, OSPO OnRamp, December 2021
- Managing Open Source Better Together - Michael Picht (SAP), Thomas Steenbergen (Here Technologies), Bitkom Forum Open Source, November 2021
- InnerSource and Discoverability - Michael Graf and Guilherme Dellagustin, InnerSource Commons Community Call, July 2021 (see also InnerSource & Discoverability - Community Call with Michael Graf and Guilherme Dellagustin from SAP - YouTube)
2020 publications (webinar recordings, podcast episodes, articles, blogs, etc)
Podcast "The Open Source Way"
- Project “Kyma” – An Easy Way to Extend Enterprise Applications. Episode with Krasimir Semerdzhiev and Valentin Vieriu on “Kyma” and how it got started, what the name means, and why it is and advantage for contributions that it is based on Kubernetes.
- Project “Gardener” – Managing Kubernetes at Scale. Episode with Tim Usner and Vasu Chandrasekhara on why SAP runs “Gardener” in an open source approach to manage Kubernetes at scale.
- Outbound Process Made Easy – SAP’s Process and Tooling. Episode with Fabienne Haag about the importance of an outbound process for open source and how it was implemented at SAP.
- InnerSource Rocks. Episode with Michael Picht on InnerSource and why it should be the default model in a global enterprise.
- Corona-Warn-App: Behind the Scenes. Episode with Sebastian Wolf on how the Corona-Warn-App was developed: SAP’s involvement, technology and architecture decisions, prominent discussions and community management.
- Open Source at SAP. Episode with Peter Giese on why open source is important in a global enterprise, why it is a triple win for customers, developers and SAP, and why you need an Open Source Program Office.
- SAP Open Source Year in Review Part 1- Peter Giese, Dec 2020
- SAP Open Source Year in Review Part 2- Peter Giese, Dec 2020
- SAP Open Source Year in Review Part 3- Peter Giese, Dec 2020
- SAP Open Source Year in Review Part 4- Peter Giese, Dec 2020
- Open Source live at TechEd 2020 - Ulrike Fempel, Nov 2020
- Gardener v1.11 and v1.12 Released - Tim Usner, Nov 2020
- A Brief History of OpenUI5 (and SAPUI5) - Andreas Kunz, Nov 2020
- Mehr Open Source wagen! - Rafael Laguna de la Vera & Peter Ganten, Nov 2020
- Learning Kyma - Follow along on my Journey - Chrsitian Lechner, Nov 2020
- Corona-Warn-App - Einblicke in ein großes Open Source-Projekt (German only), Nov 2020
- E-3 Interview With SAP CTO Jürgen Müller - Jürgen Müller, Sep 2020
- ISC Fall Summit 2020 - The Unexpected Path of Applying InnerSource Patterns - Michael Graf & Harish B, 15 Sep 2020
- Linux Foundation Whitepaper: Why Open Source matters to your Enterprise - Dawn Foster, Leslie Hawthorne, Carl-Eric Mols, Michael Picht, Thomas Steenbergen, Sep 2020
- Growing Kubernetes at Scale with Open Source Project Gardener - Thomas Herz, June 2020
- Contextual AI - SAP’s first open source machine learning library for explainability - Sean Saito, June 2020
- PingCAP’s Experience in Implementing their Managed TiDB Service with Gardener - Aylei Wu, Georgi Pavlov, 20 May 2020
- Why Every Business Is a Software Company - Susan Galer, 7 May 2020
- ISC Spring Summit 2020 - Growing an InnerSource culture at SAP - Guilherme Dellagustin and Michael Graf, 14 Apr 2020
- Why SAP Wants to Back These Open Source Projects for Kubernetes Myles Fenlon, Mar 2020
- Intelligent Electric Fleets: From Research to Purpose - Nadine Gaertner, 27 Feb 2020
- SAP’s Open Source Outbound Process - From scattered and tedious to streamlined and automated - Fabienne Haag, Feb 2020
- Open Source @ SAP: Strategic Focus Topics - Michael Picht, Open Core Summit, Dec 2020
- Open Source and SAP - Peter Giese, Martin Fassunge, TechEd, Dec 2020
- Universal Kubernetes Clusters at Scale with Project “Gardener” - Dirk Marwinski, TechEd, Dec 2020
- Universal Kubernetes with Project “Gardener” on VCF for Private Cloud - Dirk Marwinski, TechEd, Dec 2020
- Releasing Code as Open Source Made Easy - SAP's Process and Tooling - Peter Giese, Linux Foundation Open Source Summit Europe, Oct 2020
- Vulnerability data about open-source software should be open too! - Henrik Plate, Serena Ponta, Antonino Sabetta, EclipseCon 2020, 21 Oct 2020
- Open Source - A Triple - Sebastian Wolf, O4B The Open Source Business Forum, Oct 2020
- Keynote: Cobbles and Potholes - On the Bumpy Road to Secure Software Supply Chains - Henrik Plate, Eclipse SAM IoT 2020, 17 Sep 2020
- Why You Should Consider Establishing an Open Source Program Office - Myles Fenlon, 30 Jul 2020
- Open Source compliance automation with GitHub Enterprise - Fabienne Haag, Amani Hajj Ali, Priyanka Sakundarwar, GitHub Enterprise Roadshow Munich, Jan 2020
- 8 million people, 14 alerts: why some covid-19 apps are staying silent - Charlotte Jeearchive, 10 Jul 2020
- Germany's Transformation Champions - Spotlighting the most successful German business transformations of the last 5 years - Bernard Kümmerli, Claudia Pardo, Thiemo Werner, Adrian Schlesiger, and Kelsey Beuning, 18 Aug 2020
- SAP's open source engagement is mentioned on page 12