Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UTF 8 To ASCII Conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi  Experts,

Need your views on this.

We are Exporting a crystal report Output to CSV format.

That CSV is sceduled to a disk Location and then it will be FTP to a Server through a third party solution.

We have to keep that format in CSV only ( that is mandatory)

The third party solution has came up and said that the  CSV Output is in UTF 8 and they want in ASCII Form

Do we have nay solution throgh Which we can save/ scedule the Output to be In ASCII Format ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There may be a solution for this. Please upload an rpt with sample saved data. This would allow testing with actual content to avoid surprises.

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What action do you wish to take for characters that can't be converted?

Former Member
0 Kudos

that Would be fine  we can leave them for now If they cant be converted , what we are looking at least something that can convert the Output , May some macro which will convert the UTF 8 to ASCII before scheduling it to Disk location

I will not be able to load the data because of restrictions

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you can upload a utf-8 csv file (without sensitive information) I'll run the auto-conversion and upload the result so you can confirm the result is as expected.

Can you explain the logic of leaving special characters unchanged? It sounds like we might be chasing badly understood requirements.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ido,

I f i schedule a Crystal report to CSV by default it will go to UTF 8,

You can check it by opening the output in notepad and saving it with different name , under the save  dialog there is a encoding which his selected as UTF 8 , what i require this to be ANSI,

We are using Cr XI 2 and if i use the legacy mode for CSV Output it comes in ANSI  coding , the issue is that it displays the  Page header in all rows , whereas it is required for first row only.

If I choose Standard then crystal gives me option of isolation of page header but in legacy mode it does not give me that option.

So what I am thinking is to write a code Which can change the Encoding within crystal Report Or may be , some formula through which i can keep the First row static ( i tried keeping the header values in Details and choosing > option > format > suppress If duplicated .. It works Ok in Crystal preview but again the column header is repeated in all rows.

I am looking for something which can change the encoding to ANSI or some workaround throgh which I can keep a static first row in details so that when i exported through legacy mode and  remove the Header , so that the First row is a header in CSV output

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As suspected, we were chasing badly understood requirements.  This has nothing to do with character encoding. 

What scheduling software are you using?  Is it 3rd-party?  If so, contact the developer. There are simple solutions for this.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no way that I know of to specifically control this.  So, instead of using the CSV export, I would try designing a report where all of the fields are in a single text object with commas between them and quotes as appropriate.  Then export the file to Text.  I don't guarantee that this will give you ASCII format, but I think it will.

-Dell