cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Rules Fail due to # character

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone help please.

I am having problems loading transaction data into my production BW system where a text field contains a # ( or appears to ).

In the monitor the load show as being in error in the update rules, for example with the following error.

Data records for package 1 selected in PSA - 1 error(s)

Record 13 :Value '12345678 Mrs Joan Smith  ' (hex. ' ') of characteristic ZLONGTXT contains

I can go and edit the records in the PSA and reprocess but then more error records are found and when looking on the source system the number of records containing the # run into the 1000's.

I have checked the list of permitted characters and this does contain #.

I have copied the contents of the invalid field into a package on my development system and this processed without any problems.

My development and my production systems seem to be in step with infoobject definitions and list of permitted characters.

I can't see any further options on the info package that would cause the problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jenny,

It might be displayed as a # in the screen but is really some other field.

Are you loading from a flat file in a background process? If so, then this might be a carriage return, which is not allowed. Try loading in foreground from the PC - it will remove the carriage return.

Open the file in a hex editor and have a look at the hex of the last character.

Cheers

Aneesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jenny,

Welcome a board!

Could you please provide a string with hex codes? It might help to understand the error reason.

Best r egards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Eugene

Thanks for the quick response.

Please can you tell me how do I display in hex format.

Thanks

Jenny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jenny,

I thought that the error message you provided contained the full hex code. Do you have only "hex '' " in the message? Or there are some codes?

Best regards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The source system is R/3, where I can display the problem records.

The error messages as displayed in my original message are all I can see in the BW monitor and I can't see any options to display in hex and don't know how I would do this on R/3 either. ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jenny,

You are loading text in as a characteristic value. Problem probably is the blank spaces in the text.

In transaction RSKC, put a space somewhere in between the already existing values and try.

If that does not work, then simulate using one record with an error and try it the way it is and then simulate again but change the record before doing the simulate. Remove all the spaces.

Aneesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jenny,

I didn't mean 'to display in hex'. I meant - did you provide a full error message from the monitor? Or you cut the part of it which started with the word 'hex' ?

Best regards,

Eugene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eugene

Yes I provided the whole of the error message as it appears in the monitor. It does appear to have been cut off in BW but unfortunately no further detail seems to be available.

Jenny