Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unzip a compressed file

former_member186077
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

This is a question related to process.

In our current setup of archiving  , all the archive files are placed on the storage location in compressed format.

The archiving of files is currently done by OpenText.

Now i would like to know if one can access the files in the same format when the content server is pointing to the storage location directly?

If un comression is required , is there a standard way to do it?

Are there any tools with which we can achieve this?

Thanks and Regards,

Sriranjani Chimakurthy.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First i understood that you are using Open text to store Archive files.

Now whether are you asking that you need to migrate the archive files from Open text server to content server..?

Please clarify, if possible more inputs would help.

former_member186077
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the questions.

Our current setup is SAP-OpenText-Storage location.

I am not quite sure if the content servers are pointing to storage location directly.

Now we would like to know if we can access the files via SAP-Storage location.

Thanks and Regards,

Sriranjani.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. From SAP you can access files that are stored in Open text directly without any tools Un compression will be taken care of Archive link and open text pipeline automatically.

Why you want to access via SAP storage location (Local file system) because you have already Open text server in place..?

If possible mention a scenario.

former_member186077
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is one of our client's requirement and hence checking if it is possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Sriranjani Chimakurthy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lets take an example , you have portal and you are storing files on SAP storage location (i,e File system) and now you have implemented Open text server in place of SAP file system and from now on wards all the new files created will be stored in open text server ok.

1. You can access the old files which were stored in the SAP file system before Open text implementation.

2. You can access files from Open text server because all the newly created files were stored  here after implementation and now SAP server is connected to Open text server via Archive link.

So the conclusion here is you can access both old files from SAP storage location and as well as Open text storage location.

The above scenario is applicable for only portal and varies with different scenarios.

Hope i cleared you query.

former_member186077
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

But as per my knowledge the archive files in SAP are not compressed. I believe the compression is done by OpenText.

Once the files are archived in the storage location , the files on SAP file system will be deleted.

Thanks and Regards,

Sriranjani Chimakurthy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So i believe you are mentioning about data archiving files right?

The archive files first will be wriiten to storage space and then it will be archived and stored

in open text server once after successful storage in Open text the files in the SAP storage

space will get deleted. Now you can access the files from Open Text server directly.

Now if you want to retrieve files (physical files) from open text server to the SAP storage space

then i beleive yes you can, for this you dont need any tools just you can use an option from tcode sara->

storage system ->retrieve files.

But you cannot get the same format in Open text server because this server content compression is very

high compared to any other content servers so it is not possible to get the files in same format.

former_member186077
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi, this is what i wanted to know if there is a way to read those compressed files.

Thanks and Regards,

Sriranjani Chimakurthy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriranjani,

I am a bit confused by what exactly you are asking, but, here is some related information.  Archive files are compressed during the archive write job at the archive file level and can also be compressed by the storage provider.  The archive files are also encrypted so that you can only read the archive files from the SAP system in which they were archived from.

Are you asking if you can read the data archive files outside of SAP?  If so, then, that answer is no.

If you are asking something different, please clarify.

Best Regards,

Karin Tillotson

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your query is clarified then you can close the thread.

former_member186077
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Karin,

Yes the compression is happening outside of SAP and we are checking the feasibility if it can be read with some coding in SAP without un compressing the files.

Thanks and Regards,

Sriranjani Chimakurthy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Compression will be taken place both in SAP and open text, but you can only read the archive files in SAP but not out of the SAP environment.