Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted

Former Member
0 Kudos


I have an application that is working fine on our DEV machine (single box) but when i move it to our Test machine (two boxes) I am getting the following error when a form is posting pack.

<i>The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted.

[FormatException: Invalid character in a Base-64 string.]

System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s) +0

System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString) +72

System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.System.Web.UI.IStateFormatter.Deserialize(String serializedState) +5

System.Web.UI.Util.DeserializeWithAssert(IStateFormatter formatter, String serializedState) +37

System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load() +142</i>

I am using EP6 SP16, PDK 2.5, VS 2005. The application is making use of MultiView.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

how are you doing ?

>> "The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted."

>> "Invalid character in a Base-64 string"

this points towards certain variables not being available in Session.State

1> the invalid character, could also mean that a certain characterset is not available on the the nextbox

2> it could also be that the string is incorrectly formed (not correctly terminated, etc...), which would point to the format of the data

3> or it could be that the variable is not available on the second server, as it was created on the first ( which is the most likely case) you could look at storing u're session variables in a DB or eliminate them by using hidden page variables ...

with respect,


Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your reply.

I have Allow Server affinity turned on and so this should stop the application jumping between servers - however I tried your suguestions but to no avail.

I have however now found a solution. The problem appears to be that the viewstate is too big - so by setting:

<pages enableSessionState="true" enableViewState="true" enableViewStateMac="true" validateRequest="false" enableEventValidation="false" maxPageStateFieldLength="600000"/>

The problem seems to go away!

Answers (0)