cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA to BW/4 HANA

jayakummar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Requirement is data needs to be extracted from S4/HANA system to BW4/HANA. We have a plan to develop CDS views and it will be consumed through ODP/ODQ by BW4/HANA system but DATA will flow trough ABAP layer. my question is, is there anyway data extraction done DB to DB to avoid ABAP layer considring performance. Please help.

Regards,

Jay.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

If it's only a performance question then go for the DB to DB transfer. But you will miss a lot of functionnalities. On the ECC side : no possibilities to use the standard extractors (ODP, CDS etc.), no access to the ABAP layer (standard function module etc.). On the BW side, I mainly think of the delta functionalities (standard in BW DSO).

If you go that way what will really be the use of the BW ? Why won't you go for a SQL Hana DataWarehouse (build all your DW with Hana tool).

So, I have no definitive answer, it all depends on your requirement that may vary depending on the data flow (and here comes the hybrid scenario). You may have data flows for which performances or real time is critical (go for for a DB to DB transfer) and you may have others for which the ABAP or BW layer brings a needed function (then go for BW data flow).

Regards,

Frederic

jayakummar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frédéric Cincet,

Thank you for your reply. Can you please help me to assess better performance and SAP recommended way. what is best considering performance and best practice ? DB to DB or ODP/ODQ via ABAP Layer. Thanks.

Regards,

Jay.

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, but then you bypass the ABAP layer on both sides (ECC and BW) which can be an issue.

DB to DB transfer can be done with SLT (ABAP tool for table replication) or SDI (Hana tool for table replication).

Regards.